X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deperdussin1910
    • Feb 2020

Fenian Ram (Holland II) 1881, 1/12 scale, RC, scratch built

I'm brand new to SubCommittee and this build log is my attempt to build an early submarine by John P. Holland...the father of attack submarines. My background is scratch-built RC scale sailboats of the 19th century. I have also build two power models from the 19th century. One of the subject areas I like to research is Irish maritime history which this model celebrates. I hope to take my completed model to the Patterson Museum, which has the original, for a photo of both submarines.

My knowledge of Holland and the Fenian Ram come from Web searches...many of them pass over Holland until his Holland VI. I also have two books: Going Deep: John Philip Holland and the Invention of the Attack Submarine by Lawrence Goldstone and John P. Holland: 1841-1914 Inventor of the Modern Submarine by Richard K. Morris.

Here is some quick Wiki info as general background:

"Fenian Ram is a submarine designed by John Philip Holland for use by the Fenian Brotherhood, the American counterpart to the Irish Republican Brotherhood, against the British. The Ram's construction and launching in 1881 by the Delamater Iron Company in New York was funded by the Fenians' Skirmishing Fund. Officially Holland Boat No. II, the role of the Fenians in its funding led the New York Sun newspaper to name the vessel the Fenian Ram.

Fenian Ram's design was partly modelled on the Whitehead torpedo, and like it had cruciform control fins near the tail. The boat did not simply take on ballast until she sank like other contemporary submarines; she maintained a slightly positive buoyancy, and simply tilted her horizontal planes so that her forward motion forced her under.
    Fenian Ram was armed with a nine-inch pneumatic gun some eleven feet long, mounted along the boat's centerline and firing forward out of her bow. It operated like modern submarine torpedo tubes: a watertight bow cap was normally kept shut, allowing the six-foot-long dynamite-filled steel projectiles to be loaded into the tube from the interior of the submarine. The inner door was then shut and the outer door opened by a remote mechanism. Finally, 400 psi (2.8 MPa) air was used to shoot the projectile out of the tube. To reload, the outer door was again shut and the water in the tube was blown into the surrounding ballast tank by more compressed air. It was powered by a 15 hp (11 kW) Brayton piston engine.

During extensive trials, Holland made numerous dives and test-fired the gun using dummy projectiles. However, due to funding disputes within the IRB and disagreement over payments from the IRB to Holland, the IRB stole Fenian Ram and the Holland III prototype in November 1883. Although Holland III accidentally sank in the East River, the Fenians took the Fenian Ram to New Haven, Connecticut, but discovered that no one knew how to operate it. Holland refused to help. Unable to use or sell the boat, the Brotherhood had the Ram hauled into a shed on the Mill River.
    In 1916, Fenian Ram was exhibited in Madison Square Garden to raise funds for victims of the Easter Rising. Afterwards, she was moved to Clason Point Military Academy, Bronx, NY. In 1927, the Academy relocated to Long Island and the hull was sold for scrap. Prior to demolition, Irish-American activist Harry Cunningham intervened and purchased the Fenian Ram from the junkyard in order to preserve it as a symbol of Irish-American ingenuity. In September, 1927, Cunningham sold the submarine to Edward Browne of Paterson, NJ, who offered the vessel to the City of Paterson as a memorial to Holland's work. Today, she can still be seen at the Paterson Museum. "

Click image for larger version

Name:	Holland Fenian Ram outside untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	137944
  • crueby
    • May 2015

Welcome to the group! I am looking forward to seeing the build, thats a very interesting design, with a great story.

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Welcome Kerry!

.....another SubComEast convert to submarines!

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• bob_eissler
        SubCommittee Member
        • Aug 2005

Very, very nice. I feel early subs are especially fascinating. Enjoy looking at the first attempts at submarines, before we had proven principles. These early subs seem to be neglected without much coverage. I will enjoy following this.

Comment

• Deperdussin1910
          • Feb 2020

Thanks. Like aviation, the pre-WWI history of submarines is a fascinating global race. I do think it a bit odd that this 1881 sub that for several years could "porpoise" dive and surface, stay submerged, and fire torpedoes, is so little known.

I could not find plans to purchase for the Fenian Ram. And, there was no response from the curator of the Paterson Museum where the original is located. However, there is a small fold-out plan within John P. Holland: 1841-1914 Inventor of the Modern Submarine by Richard K. Morris. I used this plan and various photos of the actual sub for my scale plan. After discussion with my local model submariners, I decided on a 1:12 scale Holland II. This will make my Fenian Ram a 31"x6" model. After a few attempts , I drew a plan I could live with.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Deperdussin1910; 02-07-2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• subdude
            Official Peon
            • Feb 2003

Kerry, that's going to look so cool in the water next to my Holland VI. Thanks for sharing the build here.

For those who don't know Kerry, he's an amazingly talented modeler with the skills and determination to research the original and duplicate it in scale beautifully. This is gonna be good!

Jim
            SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• Deperdussin1910
              • Feb 2020

For your viewing pleasure...

John Philip Holland The Inventor of the Submarine

Comment

• Deperdussin1910
                • Feb 2020

Finally...I was able to cut out and sand all the frames, build a strongback, and generally plan for planking.

(Sorry, phone jpg pic would not upload.)

Comment

• bob the builder
                  Former SC President
                  • Feb 2003

Looking forward to this build! A great subject that we don't see every day!
                  The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• Deperdussin1910
                    • Feb 2020

Thanks.

I was able to glue down half the frames on to the strongback… I'm hoping that when I'm done working this half the frames will easily pop off the bracing. fingers crossed.

(I guess I've forgotten how to upload pics on this site...all the uploads fail )
                    Last edited by Deperdussin1910; 04-01-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• bob_eissler
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Aug 2005

Usually reducing the image size should allow you to post.

Comment

• bob the builder
                        Former SC President
                        • Feb 2003

Agreed. The resolution is the likeliest offender. There is a free program for windows called "Windows Image Resizer" that I've used in the past.

As a tip, you can also select all of the images that you want to resize, right click, select "send to mail recipient". Windows asks you what size you want to send the photos in. Select the 1024px resolution (which is overkill for these forums). Once the compose window opens, you can actually drag and drop those resized photos back into your folder (or a new one) and they'll be at the reduced resolution.
                        The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• gantu
                          • Aug 2009

Hugh showed us his fixture used to build patterns for the various Holland Boats, the first submarines ever built.

The patterns were made of solid styrene disks, rotated and shaped in situ. The pattern brought into the meeting was of the Holland III at a scale of 1:72.

Originally Mr. Holland was commissioned by the US Navy to design the boat but they determined it to be not practical, so the project was then funded by the Fenian Brothers for the purpose of sinking Royal Navy Ships. The first, the Fenian Ram, was launched in 1881.

Holland I – A prototype (small unarmed submersible) on display at the Paterson Museum in Paterson, NJ, USA.
                          Holland II (named Fenian Ram) – Built for Irish revolutionaries; now on display at the Paterson Museum in Paterson, NJ, USA.
                          Holland III – Scaled down version of Fenian Ram used for navigation tests.
                          Holland IV (known as the Zalinski Boat) – experimental submarine financed by US Army Lieutenant Edmund Zalinski.
                          Holland V (named Plunger) – Prototype used to demonstrate potential of submarines for naval warfare. She was launched in 1897, used as an experimental submarine by the US Navy and then returned to the Holland Company in 1903 to be scrapped in 1917.

The model Hugh showed us was of the 3rd boat (Holland III).

Comment

• Deperdussin1910
                            • Feb 2020

I'm kinda changing my mind on how I'll plank. I was going to plank two hull halves on their frames...then cut the frames off the strongback...then hollow out the frames. Then, I remembered how I planked my yawl boat. I put painter's tape on the frames. So, the planked hull would just pop-off the frames when done. I could do this and then match the hulls. I did this successfully in a 1/24 scale 7" yawl boat.

Name:	yawl boat b 8 strakes on.jpg
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	134109

Comment

• Deperdussin1910
                              • Feb 2020

Ok, I have a photo work around. I'm posting first on another online site. I then save those photos that, I guess, are automatically resized. I then paste those photos here.

Name:	RCG strongback.jpg
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	134110
                              Last edited by Deperdussin1910; 04-05-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X