SubCommittee Member
    • Jun 2006

That looks very promising! I always liked the Astute class's looks

Comment

• bob the builder
      Former SC President
      • Feb 2003

Link to the 3D files for anyone interested in trying this on their own:

3D files at the Nautilus Drydocks: https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...-in-1-96-scale
      Video of assembly and finishing of the 3D printed parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub17Zdqgk88

Erich has scale these up and is printing at a larger scale, which is the cool thing about the files and printing on your own. You could go the other way, too, for a nice, compact boat. I think scaling to 83% would allow the use of a 2.5" SubDriver. The 96th scale boat uses our 3" unit.

Bob
      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• ccontrol
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2012

Oooooooo, an Astute in 1/48. Nice!

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

I could really use everyone's option here.

The Astute is currently printing away like a happy little boat does.

I've been racking my brain on how to best sand away the striation lines and get rid of the curves that are created by various sizes of triangles and to make them smooth. They are even more apparent since I've scaled up the original files to 1/72 scale.

But part of me, a very small part, is saying "f*ck it, just leave the printed parts exactly as they are, glue them together, don't even worry about filling the seams between each section, and let the whole boat just be what it is, a printed object". I could even print it in black so there wouldn't even be any need for painting.

thoughts?

my OCD is in overdrive here lol

erich

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

Erich,

If I were building that hull, my modeler's OCD would overwhelm any thoughts on leaving it 'as printed'.... I'd have to see the printed parts to know which method I'd try for finishing the surface.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• eckloss
              • Nov 2003

Jeff - once I get a couple more pieces printed I'll tack them together so you can see the results and surfaces.

Comment

• jure george
                • Jul 2005

Erich
                Bob has a video showing how he put his together and what he did to get that section better looking. He used auto body Bondo and sanding. Have a look at his video.

What is going to be done about scribing hull detail?

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                  • Aug 1994

...I seem to recall that Bondo will soak up water....though at what rate I'm unclear? Perhaps a resin-based material with some filler (micro balloons) could work.

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• jure george
                    • Jul 2005

Bob also, what looks like to me, went over the entire model with West System epoxy after ALL was done to the body.

Comment

• eckloss
                      • Nov 2003

George....

No scribing. I have to understand that with this new type of media, some things are gained, some things are lost. For example, dimensional accuracy, aka straight and parallel lines and correct curves are gained. A real bonus for those of us who are perfectionists. But as mentioned, some of the fine detail is lost. This is all new, so I don't expect to be able to solve all the issues I'm about to face the first, or even second time (still working on my Russian Delfin 3D printed boat as well). The Astute will no doubt command a presence in the water and look good, but standing next to it, it will show those odd little details. And I'm ok with that.

Comment

• subicman
                        • Dec 2007

Jeff, you are correct, and the reason why is that most body fillers contain Talc, including Evercoat. That and the polyesters in the resin are what absorbs the water. They can be used on our models if they are sealed (not with just primer) prior to going into the water. I am not sure how resin will react with the print material, I do not know which material Erich is using, but I do know that PLA will also absorb moisture, however that is usually more of a concern with it on the reel and having moisture contaminated filament go through the print head. If i had a recommendation on what to use to fill the gaps, it would be west systems 101/102 with microballoons.

Comment

• thor
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2009

Colloidal silica (fumed) is a more suitable filler with epoxy than microballoons IMO. It sands out much easier and smoother. However, it is more than double the price.
                          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            • Feb 2019

Hi eckloss,

I have printed the Astute 1:96 scale STL files at 100% infill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	134028 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2120003.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	134029

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2120002.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	134030

I sanded the model with 220 paper, filled the seams with bondo, sanded again inside and out. Used SEM High filler primer on the outside, and Red Oxide primer inside. It sits now waiting for final sanding and finish work.

Rob

Comment

• salmon
                              Treasurer
                              • Jul 2011

Nice work Rob!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                              X