X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

What's on your winter bench?

Well, the end of summer running in most of the country is coming to a quick end.

What's on your winter work bench this year? Any new projects? Fixing up a veteran boat? Any scratch builds coming up?

I hope we see some boats we've never seen modeled in the past.

Just to start the conversation, my list includes gutting and reworking my 1:72 Connecticut, assembling an Engel Lafayette, and more work on a couple 3D printed projects. If at all possible I'd also like to put a small dent in the Arkmodel Type VII.
  • dono
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Sounds great Erich. If you have any questions on the Lafayette or would like some pics
    of the tech rack, let me know.

Comment

• chips
      • Feb 2003

Finish up my 1/96th scale USCG 327' WHEC. After that, I'll make some brass drive coupling sockets for my Revell 1/72nd scale Type VII. One of the Alumalite ones cracked at the Carmel Sub Run - pictured below. After that, I might actually finish the mahogany runabout I started a few years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0964.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	133721 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0965.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	133722

Comment

• Davidh
        • Feb 2016

What, Winter?

We are just coming out of winter and already we are having bushfires in August!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0EC2202E-ACD3-4B29-B49B-5629A0971693.jpg
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	133724

Trying to wrap up and get the tooling done for my new Project 667 BDRM Delta 4 SSBN.
        I would like to get this boat in the water around December when it’s 30 degrees and balmy.

David HClick image for larger version

Name:	5B8338BC-052C-423D-9433-37F36949B498.jpg
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	133723

Zero Bubble model design.
        Last edited by Davidh; 09-21-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• subicman
          • Dec 2007

Salvaging a Thunder Tiger Neptune, Stern Plane repairs/re-painting my OTW Molch, Repairing a D&E 1/96 Skipjack, Modding a 40mhz Robbe FC-16 to be 75mhz, finishing both of my 1/16 Kairyu suicide subs, and maybe building my OTW Type XXIII. Last but not least continuing on my 1/96 Arleigh Burke Destroyer, still torn Between USS Ramage or USS O'Kane, either way she will be named for a Medal of Honor bubblehead.

Comment

• bob_eissler
            SubCommittee Member
            • Aug 2005

I've put a wtc in the 1\96 scale Skipjack and working on the Type 17B I acquired at Carmel. Found 3 leaks in my Robbe Type XXI and it runs again so might get it looking good this winter. Have some ideas for a wtc to play with as well.
            Anyone have accurate plans for the Hunley? The Micromir model seems the most accurate representation to me. Thinking about doing the modeling so it can be 3d printed.

Comment

• JWLaRue
              Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
              • Aug 1994

Bob,

You could try contacting the museum in Charleston, SC to see if they can make plans available.

It's a fair bet that they have lofted a complete set of lines off her by now!

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• bob_eissler
                SubCommittee Member
                • Aug 2005

Good idea. I have sent an email off to them.
                I have been on Grabcad and other 3D model sites but haven't found anything with quality and accuracy yet.

Comment

• robert f.
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Jun 2006

Well, I have been inactive for some time now so this winter will be catching up time.

Which means I will be starting on my Moebius Skipjack with Merriman WTC, there is a Flying Sub to finish, and last but by no means least I will have a WALRUS to get my teeth into!
                  Last edited by robert f.; 09-30-2019, 04:38 AM. Reason: Typo correeted

Comment

• chips
                    • Feb 2003

I finally made up some replacement drive sockets for the Revel Type VIIC/41. I used a 3/32" wheel collar and some thick wall brass tubing. Now I need to install them in the sub.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• bob_eissler
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Aug 2005

I'm working on a Arkmodel Type II instead of my old projects right now.

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

Excellent work on those Dumas type connectors!
                        On my bench, a ton of crud. but playing with version 2 of the capacitor torpedo, working on a piston WTC, maintenance on my running subs (inspection, greasing, and upgrades) and a beginners sub. Subs to be finished Revell type 9 and Engel Akula. To be started next Blueback and Type XXIII.
                        Still need to build....Revell Gato (converted to Trutta), 1/48 scale Type 9, and 1/144 Astute (there are others, but this is the build at the moment).
                        Peace,
                        Tom
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                        X