X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corsaire
    • Mar 2003

Adapted Vent Valve Electronic Set-Up

As I'm planning on retrofitting my Sub Drivber after the meltdown, I'm pondering the possibility of replacing the incorporated vent valve that came with the
    WTC with the one in the picture attached. Excuse my ignorance on electronic circuits but, how would you set up this vent valve electrically so it can get activated via
    radio signal. It's got two wires at the end of it. Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	Skip Vent Valve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	136505
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

You will want an electronics module that allows you to use a radio channel as an on/off switch. Something like the SubTech SES unit. I'd have to check to see what is currently available since SubTech is temporarily not available.

Alternatively, you could use a servo with an arm that can depress a micro switch to energize the solenoid in that kind of valve.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• bob_eissler
      SubCommittee Member
      • Aug 2005

Subdriver has a es2 switch to do that. Their large pump and controller lets you do it too. I use the setup in a rcabs George Washington sub. Mikessubworks also makes and sells one. I have found smaller vent solenoids on amazon and eBay.

Comment

• corsaire
        • Mar 2003

This valve (I think it's Skip's, got it back in the 90's!) already has an incorporated solenoid valve (the little blue barrel, see pic, at the other end of the openening), when you connect the two wires to the battery it gets activated on and off. I think only a sort of switch is needed like Jeff said.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Did you have a problem with the vent valve?
          Last edited by salmon; 09-10-2015, 09:50 PM.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• corsaire
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
            Did you have a problem with the vent valve?
            The original vent valve works but even after applying a drop of oil or drop of hand soap will eventually wash off and an air bubble will get trapped. That orifice needs to be
            bigger, that's why I'm thinking on adapting Skip's valve onto it.

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

O.k. We addressed this before. I am sorry, I did not put two and two together.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

Brian,

You could also just increase the size of your vent, which would be a lot easier than re-engineering with a solenoid. KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) principles apply. Bear in mind that completely venting your ballast tank currently takes about, what?, 5 or 6 seconds now? Increasing the size means you'll be completely flooded in just a few seconds. Could make partially-full dives problematic unless you plan to only utilize completely full or completely empty...
                The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• corsaire
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post
                  Brian,

You could also just increase the size of your vent, which would be a lot easier than re-engineering with a solenoid. KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) principles apply. Bear in mind that completely venting your ballast tank currently takes about, what?, 5 or 6 seconds now? Increasing the size means you'll be completely flooded in just a few seconds. Could make partially-full dives problematic unless you plan to only utilize completely full or completely empty...
                  Hmmm, that's of course another option, I wouldn't push it too much with the polyurethane material though, even a little less than 3/16 (about 4mm) would be better. The same rubber piece might still do its job.

Comment

• corsaire
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post
                    Brian,

Over the weekend I was able to work in the vent valve adaptation of a bigger orifice, for this purpose I replaced the 1/8" brass tubing with a 3/16" dia and it turned out like in the pic, the rubber piece covers the 3/16" opening nicely. Of course I won't be able to test it until all the electronics are retrofitted and installled first, however I don't foresee any problems with this. Thank you guys. Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Valve 316 Adapted 2.jpg
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	128136Click image for larger version

Name:	Venta Valve 316 Adapted 3.jpg
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	128137

Comment

Working...
                    X