• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corsaire
    • Mar 2003

Rudder and Dive Planes (Stern) Linkages Best Options

Fellow Sub Builders,

The current set-up on my Akula is via magnets, however in my own personal experience I've found it to be unreliable, not "rock solid" functioning - in two ocassions I've been lucky I had the boat on the surface and close to "shore" to be able to rescue it, only to discover upon inspection the magnets were disconnected from one another, not a good thing. A big risk to my investment. So, I've decided to go a different route, perhaps not as quick-release as the magnets but definitely will be much
    more safe and secure. I know some of you swear by the magnets but unfortunately this hasn't been my experience.

Can you advise which would be a better set-up, either via clevices or ball-links? and if so, how would you set it up, I'm just looking for ideas as I don't intend to reinvent the wheel.

I'll appreciate your comments in advance,
    Thanks,
    Corsaire
    Last edited by corsaire; 05-28-2015, 11:19 AM.
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

The boats I have built, the rudder and rear planes stay in the lower hull half along with the cylinder.
    So, I use clevises.
    Only because I have lots of them.
    They don't need to be disconnected in the field.

I think ball-links are tighter connections with less play in them.

I have started using magnets on controls that stay in the upper half but I make one side rigid and hinge the other side so they align when they snap together.
    I use two magnets on each side, for a total of four per control rod.

I thought I had a photo. Didn't find one.
    Need to do that for my last build log.
    Last edited by Ralph --- SSBN 598; 05-28-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

plastic clevises

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130622_132235.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	127598

almost as easy to attach/detach as the magnets, none of the cons.

i do use magnets and pins to align and connect the hull halves.

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

I'm with Tim and Ralph on the use of plastic clevises. For all practical purposes they are foolproof, make it dead simple to make any in-field, last minute changes to the length of the linkages, and won't corrode and break.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
          • Oct 2012

I also use wheel collars with control rod soldiered to the collar.
          They provide positive connection and adjustment.
          The end at the rudder and planes is just a Z bend which take up very little space.
          I put the rod on the control horn before putting the horn on the rudder/planes pivot shaft in the tail cone.

------------------
          The control rod coming out of the cylinder is long.
          It does not bend due to sitting in a notch at the propeller shaft bearing frame.
          Last edited by Ralph --- SSBN 598; 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• scott t
            • Feb 2003

How about a magnet that uses a mechanical pin type connection?

Name:	magnet coupler mechanical hold.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	127599

Comment

• PaulC
              Administrator
              • Feb 2003

That's a very interesting idea, Scott! Salmon has a similar approach where the pin inserts along the horizontal axis of the linkage.

I've used Tim Smalley's old method for years. A ball link on one end attached to a brass tube mated to the WTC control link. A brass rod from the control hor runs back into the tube. The set screw in a wheel collar on the end of the tube clamps it all tight during operation. Loosening the set screw allows you to adjust the linkage. Tim had a drawing online somewhere to illustrate for those confused by my description. Maybe he will join in here.
              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
              <><

Comment

• drschmidt
                • Jul 2014

I use quick connect clevises: http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalo...oducts_id=1359

Comment

• corsaire
                  • Mar 2003

Name:	IMG_0144.JPG
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	127623

I finally did it this last weekend. I did away with the magnets and installed plastic clevises, stayed away from the metal ones just in case to prevent motor interference. I haven't put it in water yet, but tested it in dry-dock and everything seems to be working just fine. Now I shall have more peace of mind definitely. :-) Thank you all for all the good feedback. The idea of the pin magnets is really ingenious, much better and more secure than the conventional magnet power reliability.
                  Last edited by corsaire; 06-01-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X