• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gray nomad
    • Sep 2010

Hi guys

Hello to all you gurus.

New (old) guy here. Name is Frank, from Down Under.
    I own a caravan park next to a lake, which has been dry for some years (lakes in Australia do that some times): anyhow to cut the chase:
    One of the natural occuring fish here are eels, very large ones up to one meter long. It will take 2-3 years before the small elve eels will reach that size.

As a practical joke, I want to create a MONSTER eel, app. 3 meters long, which can dive about 3 feet, stay submerged (to stay away from anyone too curious) and swim left/right directions. I also would like it to have green/blue led lights (along top fin of eel) for additional earie effects. It should be a scream.
    What I want to achieve:
    1. get some cheap and effective advertising for our town.
    2. get some fun making it

I will be using PVC pipes (cheap) and I am quite handy to make things.

I am somewhat proficient in electronics, so if any of your gurus can help me put this project into reality, that would be greatly appreciated.
    I have been looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0370389421 stick-on motors. Modifying them to have reliable power supply
    by a larger battery pack (inside the PVC eel) should not be a problem.
    Installing rudders should not be a problem, but I am wondering which RC transmitter/Receiver to use?
    I came across this]http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37382[/url]
    but have no idea of the reach/distance that this unit can achieve. For my "eel" to work as intended, I would like a distance of at least 400 meters.

If anyone can give me pointers/hints, that would be gratefully accepted. If it works, I bet, there will be a number of people who will swear off the grog.

Sorry for the long story.
    Best regards from Down Under
    Frank
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

Re: Hi guys

those motors seem underpowered, running off a single 1,5 volt AA battery.

how are you going to create the typical eel/snake-like swimming ?

Comment

2.4ghz sets won't work underwater, plus you could do with more channels. What you need is a 40mhz set wit 4 or more channels.

Range wise, on the surface you may get your 400m (you have good eyesight), underwater expect no more than a few feet of range, and you will need to keep it close to the bank in order to see it.

The project you're proposing is very advanced stuff indeed. To get it working well will require sound working knowledge of servo electronics and theory, programming of microcontrollers and an understanding of how an eel swims and turns.

It can and has been done already (a snake which is similar to eel, motion wise).

Simply what you are proposing is an underwater robot. I would advice starting out with a simpler project, like a small submarine.

Comment

• gray nomad
        • Sep 2010

Mijnheer Ronald,

The object of the exercise is not a fast eel, but something, seen from a distance during the twilight/night, which gives the impression of being large and unusual. During daylight, I should like to rest the "eel" at the bottom of the lake, which is just 2 meters deep, to keep it undiscovered until months later, probably the 1st. of April. I agree with you, the motors are small, but that's the only motors that I found so far. If you know of any others, I'd be happy to look at them.

The "snaking" can be achieved by having two or three PVC pipes (each 1 meter long, perhaps) connected via some linkage, but "snaking" to me is not important, not yet anyhow.
        First of all I want to trial it out and then make adjustments as required.
        What I do need to know are the RC components. What radio transmitter/receiver system is suitable for at least 400 meters. I have absolutely no idea about RC devices.
        Any help appreciated.
        Regards
        Frank

Comment

On the surface most normal radio sets should make that distance.

Comment

• gray nomad
            • Sep 2010

Thanks Sub Culture,

40 Mhz radio with several channels.
            Question re: antennea. If the "eel" rests on the bottom, 2 meters below, what sort of antennea arrangement should I use, so that I can wake the "eel" up at my leisure? Would a longish whip antennea do the trick (in water)?
            I know I am asking questions that are difficult to answer with any certainty and I realise that much of the work will need to be re-visited, i.e. trial and error, but to get the most correct answers will save me quite a few hours and $$$ as well.

I am also looking at just haveing a "ready made Sub" as it probably also will serve my purpose very well, which is an "1st. of April" excersise and free advertising for our Town by the major news papers. If you have any recommendations there, ideas and hints are gratefully accepted.

(Beast) Best regards
            Frank

Comment

• scott t
              • Feb 2003

Some ideas for propulsion might be a bilge pump shooting water out right and left tubes to get the eel motion.
              Some tapered articulated sections could be added for a tale sort of like those souviner snakes.
              Cover is with clothe material and paint it. Like this catfish wind sock.
              If you leave it in the water to long it would look like a slime covered log.
              Just find you a secret launch point and launch it on the unsupecting folks.

Scott

Comment

• gray nomad
                • Sep 2010

Hello gurus,

Sifting through the pros and cons of building an "eel" and the time I have available, I believe the best option for me is to buy a reasonable sized submarine with all the bells and whistles. I will change the look to suit my purposes, i.e. make it into a "SUPER EEL" look alike.
                As the eel will be only operational during the twilight/evening hours and at some distance (at least 100 meters), it should be easy enough to scare a few people or at least start some rumors up about the 'MONSTER' eel, that is really all that I want to achieve.

Can anybody recommend a suitable submarine with RC control for me?
                Best regards from Down Under
                Frank

Comment

Ck out this concept, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAZyLDECPac ) Powered by small bilge pumps with in the hull, no ballast tank or propellers to get caught up on weeds and debris, can wiggle like a serpent. may fit your needs. If interested contact the builder, he may be of assistance with your project, you may also want to ck out his website at
                  ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jetnautilus/ ) Regards,

Comment

• gray nomad
                    • Sep 2010

IMPRESSIVE,
                    thank you A Nuci.

regards
                    Frank

Comment

• ramius-ii
                      • Apr 2003

If you were to do a Google Search for "Robotic Snake" there are many to chose from starting at $25.00. I think you could modify one that already exists for use in water.

Best, Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X