X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glenncauley
    • Dec 2006

Creating Realistic Weld Beads

In the process of detailing the hull of U-673, I came up with a very quick & easy technique and tool to create fairly realistic looking weld beads.

Have a look HERE.

This should work in almost any scale on any model.

Glen,

If I haven't said so

Glen,

If I haven't said so before. Excellent and thanks for posting this process. I will use this to your credit on my next scratch boat, UB1.

Thanks a bunch!

Steve

Comment

• pirate
      • Oct 2005

Hey Glenn,

Do you think this

Hey Glenn,

Do you think this would work faster with a small soldering, or wood-burner tip? You wouldn't need the extra cement to soften the styrene, and not need to push as hard making it easier on the hands. What do you think—something to try?

Just a thought.

Pete

Comment

• glenncauley
        • Dec 2006

Hi Pirate,

If you talking about

Hi Pirate,

If you talking about having the soldering iron or woodburning tool ON and giving this a try... I'd STRONGLY advise against that. Chances are high you'll burn the thin plastic (possibly right through it) and put your model (and yourself) at risk of harm.

The technique I propose is very easy, and not a lot of pressure is required... it's not hard on the hands at all. The liquid cement (which is fairly cheap) softens the plastic to prevent cracking it when you press the tool into it.

Just my thoughts...

Comment

• pirate
          • Oct 2005

Thanks Glenn, but what's model

Thanks Glenn, but what's model building without risk. I like Xtreme model building. I'm going for it! I'll let you know how it turns out. And if it's too easy, I'll try softening my styrene with a drop of gasoline. Woo hoo!

Just kidding of course, but sounds like the makings of a new reality show.

Pete

Comment

• glenncauley
            • Dec 2006

I got through the first

I got through the first paragraph and my eyes were as big as pie plates... then I read the 2nd para, and fell down on the ground laughing!

Reminds me of "Home Improvement" with Tim "Toolman" Taylor!
            hehehe

Comment

Working...
            X