X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffrey j
    • Apr 2004

faom wire cutter, how to make?

Anyone ever make a basic foam hot wire cutter? Can you give a brief rundown on what you need? I have used saws , sanding blocks in the past but on the larger projects wanted to try a hot wire cutter. Thanks in advance for any info on a home built cutter. Jeff Jones
    Too old to Rock- n- Roll, too young to die ! Subs are just my speed......
  • davietait
    • Jul 2006

Try the Terragenesis website. Its

Try the Terragenesis website. Its a wargames terrain site but they have several articles on making hot wire cutters etc

Davie

Comment

• jeffrey j
      • Apr 2004

PERFECT, thanks alot. Jeff J

Comment

• slugejudge
        • Dec 2005

Davie,

Great site, got so engrossed

Davie,

Great site, got so engrossed that I spent over 30 minutes there just looking around.

Wired, Rick

Comment

• tmsmalley
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

When I was working on

When I was working on my Hunley hull, I made one with some light ga. stainless wire and a 12 volt transformer. I used an old coping saw as a frame to hold the wire. It took a little experimenting to find the right transformer in my box of old ones from computer speakers etc.

I insulated the coping saw where the wire was fastened with electrical tape so it wouldn't short out. I cut the power output plug off the transformer, stripped the wire and twisted it onto each end of the stainless wire. I just plugged in the transfomer to turn it on. Worked like a champ!

Comment

• davietait
            • Jul 2006

Just goes to show that

Just goes to show that there are cross overs between the general modelling world ( using foam for hulls , etc ) and the wargames community ( making terrain , etc ) just lucky I run a wargames club lol.

Glad to be of help.

Davie

Comment

• jeffrey j
              • Apr 2004

Thanks Tim for the added idea, I think I have everything here to make one after all the input and the info on the site Dave posted.
              I remember your build on the Hunley, did realize you used a foam wire cutter on it. Still can't get over the rudder set up on it...
              thanks agian. Jeff Jones

Comment

• pirate
                • Oct 2005

Jeff,

I found one a few

Jeff,

I found one a few years ago like the one Steve Neill is using on his U212 build over on SubPirates. I got it at a local art and education store. Only cost me $5-$7 and it runs on 2D batteries. Works great.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X