X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWOgburn
    • Feb 2020

Best adhesive/epoxy

I'm working on the Robbe u47, rc submarine. It's made of essentially ABS and vacuum formed styrene. I'm also using upgrade parts of brass and really don't want the adhesive to dissolve in the water, sending all my work to the bottom of the lake. What would be the best water resistant adhesive/epoxy? I do have a two part mix of JB Weld. Would that work well?
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Best can be subjective, but I usually use a cohesive glue like Plastruct. It melts the halves or pieces together essentially making it welded as one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Plastruct.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	133996

Epoxy can work well, the commonly shared advice is not to use short cure epoxy like 5 minute or 15 minute, but go for longer cure times 8 hour or 24 hour cure rates. CA can be used, I normally do not but some do, it works for them.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SWOgburn
      • Feb 2020

In reference to your last paragraph, that I can successfully do.

Thank you

Comment

• crueby
        • May 2015

I really like the solvent type ones like plastruct too for the plastic models. Very strong and durable. I even use it for the plexi parts on the servo trays in the wtc. Much quicker than epoxy, which often does not adhere well to certain plastics.

Comment

• eckloss
          SubCommittee Member
          • Nov 2003

Just as a side note, the Bondene type stuff works really well on ABS and PLA printed parts

Comment

• bob_eissler
            SubCommittee Member
            • Aug 2005

Flexible marine or waterproof epoxy might work as well.

Comment

Working...
            X