X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murraymcdonald
    • Feb 2003

White Decals

How does one make white decals or a company who makes them?
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Murray,
    Before jumping in with some ideas, would you tell me a more about what type of decals these are? Lettering or design or ??
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• chips
      • Feb 2003

I use Woodland Scenics dry transfer sets for numbers and letters. They have a 45 degree Gothic sets that work well for U.S. boats. I seal over the dry transfer with a clear coat. MG747 is the 45 degree Numbers set; MG740 is the letter set.

Comment

• murraymcdonald
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
        Murray,
        Before jumping in with some ideas, would you tell me a more about what type of decals these are? Lettering or design or ??
        Peace,
        Tom
        Looking for US Naval Depth Markings for a Fletcher Class Destroyer in 1/72 scale from WWII and name of ship for the stern.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Woodland Scenics is a great recommendation by chips. These are vinyl transfer decals.
          David Merriman used these for several of his subs:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	0PDpDA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	133113Click image for larger version

Name:	ww5ivw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	133114
          David also uses an inkwell pen type device to make white dashes, I cannot for the life of me find that photo.

Bob (NautilusDrydocks.com) knows of a company that will make custom decals. Maybe he will share the name of the company here.

You can also try to make your own decals, but white are a bit tricky.
          I used the clear decal and made the base color (black) surround my emblem (https://www.bare-metal.com/experts-c...ecal-film.html). The same for your numbers and paint white underneath. The issue would be matching your base color.

Name:	Walrus_Build_273.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	133115Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus_Build_271.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	133116

Name:	Walrus_Build_282.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	133117

Finally there is a custom kit you can get (if you see yourself making a lot of custom decals) https://decalprofx.com
          There is a gentleman and a friend I run subs with in SoCal. He uses the kit for depth markers on his subs.
          Last edited by salmon; 03-11-2019, 03:22 AM.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• chips
            • Feb 2003

Hawk Graphics lists a set of 1/72nd scale USN hull numbers and draft marks. Sets #7209 or #7203.

Comment

• murraymcdonald
              • Feb 2003

I don't think their in business any more. I've called and emailed them a few times and no reply's.

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

Custom dry transfers can be had from www.aeroloft.com. Tell Cindy that Bob Martin from the Nautilus Drydocks sent you!
                The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• murraymcdonald
                  • Feb 2003

Thank-You for the heads up on the dry transfer sets. I was able to order these through a locale railroad hobby store not to far from me. Wish Hawk Graphics was still in business.

Comment

• tommydeen
                    • Nov 2003

You have another link. Aeroloft looks like a dead link
                    sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

Working...
                    X