X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern or
    • May 2014

Building tips for the disabled

Firstly, I don't like to think of myself as "disabled", but rater a work in progress. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with Asperger's and subsequently then went through a terrible period of doctor prescribed medication experiments to find something that worked. In the process one of the meds caused permanent nerve damage to my right side. Most of the time it isn't too bad, but recently it's been getting worse. The problem is tremors in my right had, and several areas in its range of motion that cause it to loose control. It's a little like Parkinson's, but just in one arm.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone have any advice for me when it comes to cutting material with a Dremel and fine detailing. So far I've managed by having my upper arm held close to my torso, but it's getting really awkward now that I'm half way done with the cut-to-fit WTC.
  • badcooky
    • Oct 2016

Mate maybe clamps or a vice , is anyone in your area into RC that could give you a hand and you help out them too ? .
    Mate if you're able front up here and say "hey I have a small issue , need some advice" you're a stand up guy right there , so yea you'll overcome , I know you will.
    Let us know dude.
    Cheers.

Comment

• knucklebutt
      • Aug 2017

new to these forums, so just saw your post:I had a stroke 3 years ago that left my left side paralyzed, as an avid modeler and radio control flyer I assumed I was done with these hobbies
      So at this point I have figuered out how to do just about everything one handed, and just started the Trumpeter 1/48 Type VIIC U boat, and flying RC with a specially made transmitter

feel free to pm me with your questions then I can send photos of the Clamps, jigs , tools that I have discovered to return to modeling

Denis

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

I am not a detail builder but I do like things to fit.
        I build mostly from scratch and I build a lot of jigs and forms to help me work the final parts.
        I fine it easier to toss a jig in the trash that I screwed up that a model part.
        I have an assortment of clamps from spring paper clips to 2" C clamps to 4' sliding wood clamps.
        And many sizes in between.

I have small machinist vise on my work bench that goes from work bench to drill press.
        I have built with hand tools for a very long time and only got a Dremel in the last 3 or 4 years.
        Great tool but it can make parts in t junk rather quickly.

I use a lot of masking tape to make lines to cut along and I use tape to protect what I don't want to mess up.

I slowly work on individual small parts until I get them done.
        Then I start assembling those parts to make larger parts.

I guess my point is, this is not a race.
        Work slowly on parts until that part is done or as far as you can go.
        Then move to the next part.

I find I enjoy making the jigs and forms as much as the models.
        I even make tools, such as small funny shaped wrenches to reach those places regular tools can't
        I make my own cutters to cut plastic in to end caps and o-ring grooves.
        I do not have a lathe, I use a drill press. (poor man's lathe)

Like any thing else I do, if I rush, I make mistakes that at times can be costly.
        And as suggested above, if you find you need help with something, just ask.
        Show photos of what your issues are so everyone can see it and those who have answers or suggestions can respond.

Being proud is one thing. Being stubborn is another. (took me over 45 years to get past the Stubborn part)

Comment

• southern or
          • May 2014

This is some great feed back. I moved and now I have a much better shop setup-and a bench vise. I don't have a drill press yet (it is in the works though) so I had to use a router bit on the Dremel which worked out really well, somehow. I couldn't find any clamps that would work on small stuff until I happened to salvage some old drapery clips which are fantastic.

Sorry for the belated response (no internet for a LONG time after the move).

Thanks again, Happy Modeling!

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Blessings on your new place! Glad to see you back online.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
            X