X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warpatroller
    • Feb 2006

Bandsaws

What kind of bandsaws do you guys use for your sub projects?

I've been looking at some used Delta or Rockwell units from the 50s/60s/70s. I would think a 10" is good enough for cutting PVC sheet plastic and polycarbonate tubes.. I've read that for a general purpose bandsaw, if you plan on cutting wood with it as well, it might be better to have a 14" with at least a 1/3 HP motor. 10 inchers seem to usually have 1/4 HP motors. I could see the potential use of cutting small diameter metal rods as well.
  • warpatroller
    • Feb 2006

Re: Bandsaws

In addition to the cutting I mentioned above, what do you guys use to cut out little small metal parts? Like the small brass (looks like brass) pieces that you solder to dive plane and rudder shafts, like Darrin did below:

Darrin's work is always awesome!

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

The photo you are using as an example is a fine example.
      Darrins LARGE Nachen.
      Scroll down and you'll fine his boat on display at a local fun run last year.

I worked mostly with metal fabrication so I have a standard 4" band saw for cutting pipe and a stand up 1/2" drill press.
      I have cut PVC 4" diameter and up to 4" polycarbonate tubing. Just got to go slow with the polycarbonate tubing.

To cut the small metal and plastic parts, I have used a razor saw for years and exacto knife.
      The first part of 2014, I finally broke down and got a Dremel.
      Now I find I use the Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut most small parts and shape with a sanding drum.
      A few small files are also used.

I am currently working on two subs and one schooner.
      As an example, one of the builds is a completely scratch build from a side and top view plan and photos.
      HMS Gotland
      As I build I try to explain what I do and how I do it.

For a quick look, today I finished the sail and masts, except for panel lines.

My build logs can be found here.

Comment

For small metal pieces I use hacksaws- normal and junior size. Always use high quality blades, cheap hacksaw blades are a false economy, they lose their edge almost immediately when cutting anything other than soft metals or plastics. I use blades from Bahco, Sandvik and Eclipse. All excellent products.

Plastics can be cut with a hacksaw too. Softer plastics too thick for a knife, or intricate cuts can use a coping saw or a fretsaw for very fine work.

I'm fortunate to have the use of a bandsaw and mechanical scroll saw, but they are far from essential. They speed things up. That is their only advantage and I tend to use them for larger work, preferring hand tools for light jobs.

Comment

• vasily
          • Jun 2014

The 4 " x 6" metal cutting band saws are the best to cut most of the materials used in RC models: polycarbonate, acrylic, brass, stainless, G10 fiberglass plate. G10, especially, will rip the teeth right off a wood cutting band saw. These saws are meant to be used as "chop saws", but material can be fed manually (and carefully) into the blade using the small rest.
          Some softer plastics, like PVC and ABS, will cut with a wood cutting 14 inch band saw if you use a fine tooth blade.
          Best thing to cut a tube of any material is a lathe. Next best is a fine toothed hand saw used carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X