• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jefftytoo
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Re: Subregatta Videos

Tom,

You're the best, bud. Would you be amenable to my shipping you a big box of all the VHS Regatta videos sometime after the holidaze? I have to double-check, but as I said, I think I have them all.

JeffP

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Best? No I follow in footsteps of other people, including you Jeff! As far as the VHS tapes, converting them to help this hobby and SC? No problem. Glad to do it. We will need to work out the details of uploading video too. Because it is a relatively easy move to digital.
      Do we have or do we need the O.K. from the original videographers?
      Peace,
      tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jefftytoo
        SubCommittee Member
        • Mar 2003

Good call, Tom. Mr. LaRue and/or Mr. Thor, wanna weigh in? We do need some official permissions, don't we? Can you get them?

JeffP

Comment

• subdude
          Official Peon
          • Feb 2003

Fyi, I've already converted them all. More info after Christmas. Merry Christmas to all!
          SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• jefftytoo
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

Sneak!

Ditto,
            JeffP

Comment

The format to convert them to is H.264 MP4. That is now the standard for storage of video both on the net and on computers. They should ideally be converted at the highest definition possible, especially if converting analogue footage. You can always bump down quality, but not so easy to go the other way.

Youtube and Vimeo are the natural way to distribute. I use Firefox browser, and that enables the downlaoding of content on those sites with suitable plug-ins

Comment

• JWLaRue
                Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                • Aug 1994

I'm wondering if Ray Mason's source recordings are a higher resolution than the (old) standard TV resolution....would be even nicer to get better versions!

As for official SC sanction, I think that's a given that we will host the videos on the web site. I'll try contacting Ray to see what his thoughts are around making the regatta videos freely available.

-Jeff
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Fyi, I've already converted them all. More info after Christmas. Merry Christmas to all!
                  You da man! The man with steel ..... oh never mind that was from the regatta.
                  This is exciting to me, if this comes together. It adds value to the reason to be a member, although I think there is enough without the additional information, with the postings, support of other members, and archived SCR. Adding video is a excellent bonus.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Standard VHS was always well below what standard definition television could resolve, about 240 lines.
                    High definition consumer video got closer at about 400 lines, DV gave 576 lines and was considered to be the first consumer format fit for broadcast television. Higher quality broadcast formats like Betacam gave 500 and later 700 lines, but the equipment was mega money, so you had to be semi or fully professional to justify the outlay.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      • Aug 1994

...which is why I noted that I'd find out from Ray if the masters are a higher resolution.

Ray and I have started exchanging e-mails on this topic. What I've found out so far is that the resolution of the later DVD-versions (2005 & 2006?) of the regatta videos were done at the same resolution as the masters.

More as we figure things out.

-Jeff
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

I expect those were filmed in digital format. The masters can still offer a small improvement in quality, as DVD's generally compress the footage more than DV.

Comment

all,

my email system bounced this back as an un-deliverable address:

ray.mason@ngc.com

is that the correct email address for ray?

Comment

• JWLaRue
                            • Aug 1994

Tim,

I just sent you a PM with Ray's e-mail address.

-Jeff
                            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
                              • Aug 1994

I expect those were filmed in digital format. The masters can still offer a small improvement in quality, as DVD's generally compress the footage more than DV.
                              Sorry, but nope. Ray tells me that they're in the old Hi8 format, which yields 420 lines of resolution.

-Jeff
                              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• sgtmac1
                                SubCommittee Member
                                • Oct 2014

Is there a listing of what may be available? I'd like to catch up on some of the sub stuff and was wondering which videos would be good to start with or does anyone have particular favorites?
                                Thanks,
                                sgtmac

Comment

Working...
                                X