• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jure george
    • Jul 2005

Looking for Part Help

Hello again

I have been through the McMasterCarr with No luck. I am looking for a way to couple a motor; modified servo or a pager motor without its counter weight, both have Very small diameter shafts, don`t know exactly the dia. Anyways I would like to couple the motor to a drive shaft. Again the drive shaft is 1/8" dia. I have seen a version from the U.K that has a connector on the motor and seperate one on the drive shaft and is connected by a rubber type tube that pushes onto each end connector, thise connectors are secured with set screws. Unfortunately the U.K prices are high and there are No quantity discounts.

The motors would be 5000 RPM or higher, best guess.

Does anyone know of a U.S or Canada Source for such a coupler fitting?

Thanks In advance.

George
  • tommydeen
    • Nov 2003

Re: Looking for Part Help

W.M. Berg has all kinds of couplers like this and lots more as well Small Parts Inc.
    Tom
    sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Wm. Berg is where I too get my universal joints from these days.

Check out this example: http://www.wmberg.com/catalog/product.aspx

My recommendation is to get the Delrin and brass hub version(s). If you do not find the exact shaft combination that you need, you can always take the universals apart and recombine them into the two shaft sizes that your application requires. (e.g. buy a 1/8-inch-to-1/8-inch and a 3mm-to-3mm and then end up with a pair of 1/8-inch-to-3mm universals)

-hope this helps,

Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• KevinMC
        SubCommittee Member
        • Sep 2005

George - do you still have your lathe/mill? Why not just turn out an adapter piece that will attach to the motor shaft with a set-screw and allow you to press-fit a piece of tube over the other end to act as your universal. Same goes for the 1/8 dia drive shaft end.
        Kevin McLeod - OSCAR II driver
        KMc Designs

Comment

• jure george
          • Jul 2005

Hi Kevin

I would like to ask you / talk to you more about that plus some other things. Can you give me a call and we can meet up for coffee and I can pick your brain more?

Let me know when`s Good for you Kevin.

George

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

That'll work if both shafts are lined up......but even in that case using a universal removes the concern if any misalignment shows up.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
            X