X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Telusboats6
    • Jan 2016

Thunder tiger Neptune

I have found that the gaskets at each end of the clear cylinder and the respective bulkheads are not making a proper fit anymore. Has anyone found suitable replacements for them.
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

There are two sets of o-rings used. One for the clear cylinder and another for the flat disks or end caps. The inside ones are 120mm and the ones against the end caps are 124mm.
    Here is the assembly instructions:
    Attached Files
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• submetrologist
      SubCommittee Member
      • Jul 2012

Telusboats6 is talking about the gaskets between the clear cylinder and the end pieces. Not the o-rings.

Comment

• Telusboats6
        • Jan 2016

I bought this boat from a fellow so I assumed everything was as per instructions. I noticed that the part I need is an 120 mm O ring. Yet on my boat it is a flat ring. Where can I get these O rings as thunder tiger does not sell them. A plumbing store maybe?

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Not sure on thickness........I would have to tear mine apart, maybe someone can assist.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Telusboats6 View Post
            I bought this boat from a fellow so I assumed everything was as per instructions. I noticed that the part I need is an 120 mm O ring. Yet on my boat it is a flat ring. Where can I get these O rings as thunder tiger does not sell them. A plumbing store maybe?
            On the PDF I included is the parts breakdown, I do not see any other gasket, nor does mine have a different gasket. The o-ring is used as the seal between the cylinder and end cap.

Comment

• Telusboats6
              • Jan 2016

I think the previous owner used a rubber gasket where the O ring should be.

Comment

• submetrologist
                SubCommittee Member
                • Jul 2012

I believe you are talking about the flat rubber gasket seals part number PJ6162 119mm in diameter. They are a kind of combination O ring and flat gasket.
                You might be able to revitalize those sealing rings with some silicone O ring grease. I use a silicone lubricant I purchased from Engel Modelbau in Germany. It is what they recommend for the O ring seals on their rc submarine kits.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                  • Oct 2012

Silicone grease can be found at most hardware stores in .5 oz tubes or 2 oz plastic jars.

Comment

• submetrologist
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Jul 2012

Those seals must be available from a general supplier. Cant believe they were only made for Thunder Tiger

Comment

• submetrologist
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Jul 2012

If you try silicone lubricant, I recommend purchasing a high quality translucent white food grade lubricant. There is one listed on Amazon called Superlube 93003. I purchased mine from Engel at the same time I ordered one of their sub kits.

Comment

• Telusboats6
                        • Jan 2016

I have found several o rings that are 120 and124 mm but the thickness of the rings varies. Does someone know the thickness?

Comment

• wlambing
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

As I recall, the parts breakdown illustrations/lists specify the cross-section of all the o-rings and gaskets in that boat. Of course, you'd have to have gotten those sheets in the sale. Food grade silicone grease is pretty much available in any hardware type store, or even Home Depot or Lowe's.

Comment

• Telusboats6
                            • Jan 2016

I did not get that with the boat when I bought it, only the instruction manual. I did a search on the internet and found something similar but it did not give the diameter of the rings other than the 120, 124 mm.

Comment

• wlambing
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

Oh, bother!!!! As Winnie would say! Well, somebody out there has that stuff, and there are many helpful folks in this community so I'm sure you'll get what you need to make her work. Good Luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X