Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	138233

I use an Elegoo resin 3D printer, printed this one:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	835.0 KB
ID:	138234

Sprayed a little primer on it, Mr. Hobby is a fine primer for not masking details.

Name:	Hatch04.jpg
Size:	730.1 KB
ID:	138235

This allows you to see some of the details, please excuse the speck on the surface, I did not cure the print or clean it up (including dust), but the details look o.k. - The hatch is a flat on the slopes so if I was to redo it I would make it a little more bulbous or fatty, but using one photo does not help.

Name:	Hatch05.jpg
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	138236

You can see a little of the type of striation that you get with these printers at the 2-3 oclock position.

This is 1/96th scale if that helps with scale.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

Nice little piece of work there Tom. I hope we see a time when a 3D print of a sub is so concise that cleanup is nothing more than some light sanding. That 3D Type XXI that Bob has available looks incredibly detailed, but I know how much effort has to go into making it look that good.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Thank you Sam! I truly believe that better 3D printing will continue to happen as time passes.
      Next posting will be the beginning of how I drew this up and build a tutorial sorta.
      I am not an expert, in fact a friend asked me to draw up stuff that so far I have not been able to do (need to gain more knowledge). The other point is there are many ways to create something, not just one way or one program. So, hopefully I can share enough to push someone willing to give it a try.
      Sam, Happy New Year!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
        Thank you Sam! I truly believe that better 3D printing will continue to happen as time passes.
        Next posting will be the beginning of how I drew this up and build a tutorial sorta.
        I am not an expert, in fact a friend asked me to draw up stuff that so far I have not been able to do (need to gain more knowledge). The other point is there are many ways to create something, not just one way or one program. So, hopefully I can share enough to push someone willing to give it a try.
        Sam, Happy New Year!
        Happy New Year Tom! Maybe you can post that finished file in the Vault?

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Absolutely!

Comment

• druiz100
            • Oct 2019

I just got my Elegoo Saturn resin printer and to say I was shocked at the detail it printed is a understatement. I plan on resin printing 180mm lengths of hull to print a whole sub in resin. Only problem is the STL file has to be highly detailed or it will look like crap.

Comment

• crueby
              • May 2015

Originally posted by druiz100 View Post
              I just got my Elegoo Saturn resin printer and to say I was shocked at the detail it printed is a understatement. I plan on resin printing 180mm lengths of hull to print a whole sub in resin. Only problem is the STL file has to be highly detailed or it will look like crap.
              I was wondering how sturdy/rigid the printed parts are from theresin priners? The detail looks amazing. Do you think parts printed with it would be directly usable on a model, or just for mold making?

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

There are different formulas, but currently I am using ABS like grey resin. It is less brittle than regular resin.
                I am using it for gears in this piston system (actually it is all printed in this resin).

Name:	Piston Ballast system 05.jpg
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	135195
                So far, it is holding up.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  No one
                  • Jul 2003

3D Resin printing is FUN!!

Right you are Tom, we will be sharing files lol!!

And this for those that don't FB....

The MK148 ADCAP GAS RC Sub torpedo based on the US MK48 ADCAP sub launched ASW/ASuW Heavyweight Torpedo. Butane charged.
                  This 1:48 Scale fish comes in at 4-3/4" long with a diameter of 7/16". FWD section acts as floatation.

The MK113/SL Fire Control System will utilize a spring to eject the MK148 weapon from the tube. Weapon is charged off boat and muzzle loaded.

Though the weapon will be painted, I tried clear for the heck of it.

The only real issue is to understand suction of the FEP vs sticking to the build plate. Never be afraid to over support and add plenty of footings to overcome failing prints.
                  Part 1: Intro to Chitubox and supporting minis like a pro, the first in a line of videos to come!
                  He is "the Man"! I went from 0 to 100% success!!

My SHARK will have teeth this season

Name:	MK148_01.jpg
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	135201

Name:	MK148_02.jpg
Size:	863.0 KB
ID:	135202

Name:	MK148_03.jpg
Size:	827.5 KB
ID:	135203

Name:	MK148_04.jpg
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	135204

Name:	MK148_05.jpg
Size:	816.0 KB
ID:	135205
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                  NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                  USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                    • Oct 2012

I find 3D printing interesting.
                    Not interesting enough to go out and buy the equipment.
                    Don't need another hobby with a high learning curve.

However, I came across this old video that helped me understand a little more about 3D printing.
                    This guy has a web site that is all 3D printing info.

Sale on GearBest Printers going on right now! https://www.gearbest.com/promotion-best-3d-printers-2020-special-907.html?lkid=79648181UPDATED COUPON CODE FOR ...

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      No one
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
                      I find 3D printing interesting.
                      Not interesting enough to go out and buy the equipment.
                      Don't need another hobby with a high learning curve.

However, I came across this old video that helped me understand a little more about 3D printing.
                      This guy has a web site that is all 3D printing info.

Sale on GearBest Printers going on right now! https://www.gearbest.com/promotion-best-3d-printers-2020-special-907.html?lkid=79648181UPDATED COUPON CODE FOR ...

https://www.the3dprintzone.com/
                      Not necessarily true regarding the learning curve.

To be honest, I never bothered to learn casting because I had one experience that went south. That seemed like a higher learning curve than this.
                      I am much happier on this course.

I also look at it if a millennial can do it, I can.

Yes, initial investment was on the order $500, on par with a WTC.

Yes I was frustrated at first, but had those parts within a week, it's ALL about supports.

CAD Modeling is the tough part, but I do EVERYTHING online in TinkerCAD. Designed for 5 yo's. IOW, people like me.

And with CAD modeling....you "see" it before you build it! You can copy it, you can modify it w/o a new mold, share it, scale it. At the push of a button.

Took me a few hours to learn it, simple enough to add and subtract shapes. After a while it becomes intuitive and fund to see what you can do rather than what you can't.

I actually did all this.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-06 125350.jpg
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	135214

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-06 125508.jpg
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	135215

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-06 125749.jpg
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	135216

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-06 125617.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	135217

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-06 125854.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	135218

The point is, don't let new tech dissuade you from trying it.

There was a reason Elegoo Resin and other 3D Printers were some of the hottest items on the XMAS shelves this year.

I dig it, it's a personal choice. The point is don't let tech overwhelm you, the very future you all want to join us do THIS!

IOW, those who don't explore new territories are often left out of it's riches.

Learn this, and the world is your oyster.

FWIW, this is the man that had me going from 100% print fail rate to 100% success rate in four 15 minute videos:

3DPrintingPro

As things begin to progress here at the SCF, we'll devote more to resources such as this.
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                        • Oct 2012

3D printing is like a lathe, I would like to have one but reality is, the past tells me, I would only would make a few parts making the equipment not cost effective.
                        Instead I turned my drill press in to a vertical lathe and it has worked for the parts I have needed at the time.

I am sure there would be some parts a 3D printer would make that I can not or don't want to put the time in to making.

I currently have Gato near completion, my George Washington completely disassembled for a new cylinder and equipment up grade, working on a rescue barge which is close to done and I have a Alma schooner sitting on the floor that was started in 2007 that is near completion needing only the rigging to be finished.

I am also noticing I am slowing down at 70 years of age.
                        I have 1 more scratch build I want to do. USA 1905 B-boat.
                        I have made the conning tower, masts and all control surfaces including the propeller. (sits on table in front of my TV)
                        I would like to finish that one as well.

I started a scratch Gotland but then others came out with production kits. (That was good to see)

Years ago I tried learning a cad program and gave up.
                        But I think it was too early and the program was not friendly at all. (no logic to the order of commands)

I do like see the boat builders working to learn the 3D printing.
                        It gets better with every project.
                        I would like it to get to where I could place an order for a few parts and someone would take the job and it wouldn't break the bank.

It looks like it's getting there.
                        Faster than I originally though it would.

To all of you that are working on 3D, thank you and keep it up.

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

Ed makes a great Segway into the topic of how I did the hatch.
                          There are three things I did, and it kind of applies to the process. There is design or drawing, adding, and subtracting.
                          The design part when I started was not used much, I just went to a shape and whittles away or added to it until I had an acceptable shape. I posted for help and all the guys (after they stopped laughing) recommended drawing out as much as possible first. I was joking, they didn't laugh. I think they had pity on me.
                          So that is the first thing I did. I drew a profile. There are many terms used, and I do not know them all, so if I use it incorrectly, forgive me.

Simple drawing using lines and curves. There are scissors to delete lines. You can (might be able - it is tiny) see on the profile where the grooves are near the dome - that was a rectangle then used scissors to delete the top of the rectangle once it was drawn.

Name:	Hatch01_Profile_Drawing.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	135219

Now I only drew half, I could drawn a full profile, but in this case it is not necessary. So, I exit drawing and click on my profile (it turns blue meaning no broken lines). Then a cool tool is this one:

Name:	Hatch02_revolve.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	135220
                          Revolve will take your profile and create a 3d shape from it.

I ended up with this:

Name:	Hatch03_revolve.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	135221

The rectangle that had the top removed becomes the groove. Does this make sense?

Name:	Hatch04_revolve.jpg
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	135222

Now it does not look like the final hatch, yet.

Name:	HatchFinal.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	135223
                          Last edited by salmon; 01-06-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

I was going to do some steps on this hatch, but this guy does a real good basic knowledge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GrPsNIArRQ
                            It is a 16 part YouTube with each lesson being about 6 to 7 minutes long. I learned from it just watching it.

Comment

Working...
                            X