• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Charlotte514 View Post
    PERFECT! Can I get the file? Please? I am willing to pay for development cost. This model is so nicely engineered but the main flaw is the turning radius.
    just curious...how does it turn underwater? My Alfa had a huge turning radius on the surface, but it was like a dolphin underwater.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

The turning radius on the surface is not good.
      After putting my boat in the water and cycling the piston to get the air out, I set the surface trim with the water up to just under the sonar bulb.
      On my Tx I have a piece of white tape to mark where the ballast control knob should be to get decks awassh sort of.

Mine even under water still have a large turning radius.
      I don't know about dolphin turns.

Comment

• Charlotte514
        • Oct 2019

The maiden was in a small backyard pool so I am not sure. Most of my cruising will be with the conning tower exposed ~ 1.5" so the upper rudder will be only partially submerged. Any additional surface area will be helpful I'm sure.

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

Charlotte514... I sent you PM.

Erich

Comment

• eckloss
            • Nov 2003

Sam...

The turning radius underwater was also improved with the extension. Originally it was not so great, although better than surface.

At the January SubComEast meet, if Jeff can help me repair the linkage and get the boat working again, I'll set up my waterproof GoPro (I built a quick and dirty mount for it that hangs into the edge of the pool) and I'll video it as it goes through its submerged maneuvers.

Erich

Comment

• eckloss
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
              Now to come up with a way to attach it so it stays on and can be removed while on display.
              Got to think about the display part.
              How often does this happen?
              Ralph... There is a notch in the leading edge of the extension that helps keep it stable. You could easily hold the extension on with a small piece of hockey tape on each side, and remove it when you're done. I'd be happy to send you one if you want.

Erich

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                • Oct 2012

Thank you, Erich.

Your offer is more than generous.
                I build in sheet plastic and I will give this a try first.
                I have penceled down a couple ideas on how to connect the rudder extension.
                I think 30 minutes in the shop and I should know wich is the best choice.
                One of the toughts is to use clear plastic sheet.

I know I have a couple of rudder 2 layer blanks I built some time back for a 1903 B-boat I can use to start.
                The B-boat is some time off after the plug cracked in th summer heat then winter cold here.
                It has to be redone and I think it will be a foam plug for a one off hull.
                NO mold this time.

Comment

• sam reichart
                  Past President
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by eckloss View Post
                  Sam...

The turning radius underwater was also improved with the extension. Originally it was not so great, although better than surface.

At the January SubComEast meet, if Jeff can help me repair the linkage and get the boat working again, I'll set up my waterproof GoPro (I built a quick and dirty mount for it that hangs into the edge of the pool) and I'll video it as it goes through its submerged maneuvers.

Erich
                  cool! thanks Erich!

Comment

• Charlotte514
                    • Oct 2019

Big time thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X