X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlotte514
    • Oct 2019

Arkmodel German Type VII kit in 1/48th scale

My next model will be a German WWII era sub. I really like the style. Most of the time it will be in my office on display, but I will run it at a local pond occasionally. So finish is important more so than performance.

My question is the Arkmodel the best choice for the German subs? Bob will be building this with a 2.5" MSD Subdriver if it is the Arkmodel.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Charlotte514; 12-12-2019, 09:06 PM.
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

It’s a great sized, nice representation of a Type VII. If you get the photo etch for it, it’s a $hit ton of work, but the details are amazing. It’s plastic, so it’s an easy construction project.

If you don’t care about size (or budget), get OTW’s 1/32 scale Type VII. Be prepared to do a lot of engineering and scratch building. As Bob states, “It’s a modeler’s model.” But it’s a beautiful model when it’s complete.

There’s always a conversion of the Revell Type VII in 1/72 as well.

Just reread your post. How big is your display area? The OTW is about 7 feet long.

Comment

• Charlotte514
      • Oct 2019

I'm adding (2) 12" X 12' shelves. So beam is an issue. Bigger issue is my car max OAL is 82".

Checked the OTW out - out of budget I'm sure.

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Charlotte514 View Post
        I'm adding (2) 12" X 12' shelves. So beam is an issue. Bigger issue is my car max OAL is 82".

Checked the OTW out - out of budget I'm sure.
        I like my Arkmodel. Finished, it will look awesome on that shelf.

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

The Arkmodel Type VIIC is a very nice model. You will really like it. My only (minor) criticism is that the rivets are too tall (proud). A light sanding to lower them slightly would take care of it.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Charlotte514
            • Oct 2019

Arkmodel Type VIIC on order with Bob, will be a spring build for him. I am adding lights any other mods? Would bow thrusters fit in this boat?
            How is the turning radius? I am disappointed in the Engel Akula's turning.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
              • Oct 2012

At our gathering is an Engel's Type VII.
              It's about 7 feet long.
              I turns far better than my Akula II.
              I have watched Mike turn the boat in it's own length by using the 2 propellers opposite each other and working them independently to keep the boat from moving in either direction other than turn at it's center.

Comment

• Charlotte514
                • Oct 2019

Okay thanks - The Engel with 2 pistons will be too heavy for me to manage. I will stick with the Armodel - but that is interesting. I bet the Arkmodel can be setup to run each motor independently. Bob's 2.5 wtc has 2 separate ESC's I think.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                  • Aug 1994

The Arkmodel Type VIIC is quite a bit smaller than the Engel Type VIIC...let's not confuse the two.

I have a 1/48th scale Type VIIC (DK Models hull) and the turning radius is...okay. It's not going to be near as tight as something like a nuke boat of the same size, but it's acceptable.

As to the possible use of two speed controllers, I'll be interested in what the Arkmodel does with 2 of them. Those props are really close together!

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• eckloss
                    • Nov 2003

Just to chime in for a second on the Akula II's turning radius... I 3d printed a lower rudder extension that both myself and Joe DeMan now use. It cut the radius in half.

erich

Comment

• Charlotte514
                      • Oct 2019

Hey new best friend! Please send me the stl file of that extension. Seriously needed, and I am willing to pay!

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                        • Oct 2012

I would be very interested in seeing the Akula rudder extension.
                        I cut and built on to the front of my rudder to get some front of the rudder out in to the water flow.
                        I removed some of the rudder support.
                        I did not gain much in a tighter turning circle.

Comment

• eckloss
                          • Nov 2003

Here ya go.... It was printed with an inverted "V" shape to secure it to the aft edge of the rudder. As you can see it lowers down to the same horizontal as the rudder support. Cut the turning radius right in half.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                            • Oct 2012

Thanks for the photo.
                            You say this cut your turning radius in half.

Well, I am going to have to try something like this.
                            I do not have a 3D printer but I certainly can shape and form sheet plastic.
                            The rudder extension is a 5 minute job.
                            Now to come up with a way to attach it so it stays on and can be removed while on display.
                            Got to think about the display part.
                            How often does this happen?

First through is to use 2 small brass wire as pins drill straight in to the back of the existing rudder.
                            And maybe some clear water proof tape to hold it on.
                            Thanks.
                            ------------------
                            Now back to the 1/48 Type VII.
                            I am watching this thread because I have two Revell 1/72 Type VIIs sitting on my back porch.
                            Haven't thought much about them as I am currently building the 1/72 Gato and have a 1/144 George Washington, I want to put a new cylinder.

Comment

• Charlotte514
                              • Oct 2019

PERFECT! Can I get the file? Please? I am willing to pay for development cost. This model is so nicely engineered but the main flaw is the turning radius.

Comment

Working...
                              X