X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlotte514
    • Oct 2019

Akula Maiden

Made it to a friends pool (pretty small) for the maiden.

Couple of questions:
    Trimmed (with ballast empty) dead on level bow to stern.
    See pic (Well I cannot upload the pic even after reducing the size) at about 60% ballast full she sits about 1" bow down. Should I trim the boat back to be stern heavy at empty ballast? I don't see running that attitude much because there is so little rudder control. Looks like 80% ballast full will be periscope depth. I understand the boat will tilt forward when taking in water but I thought if trimmed level she would level out?

Next question is lack of rudder control. I think she will handle alot better on my local pond where I can get some speed up. But I am going to add area to the bottom rudder for use in my neighborhood pool.

Does anyone have a good design? I would like something that can clip on and be removable for when she will be on display in my office.

I've uploaded pics before. I did get a new phone so the camera is probably higher resolution what is the max jpg file size?

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Engel's boats that use a single piston tank can be expected to sit at various bow down angles when the ballast tank is between empty and full. It's just physics...and the way they designed their kits.

Given that the boat is trimmed level with the tank empty, what does the trim look like with the piston full?

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Charlotte514
        • Oct 2019

Piston full is nose down +/- 1.5". Tonight I trimmed back to stern heavy. I need to get it out to my local pond/industrial lake to check running attitude.

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

Would be interesting to see what the surfaced trim will be if you trim the submerged (full piston) to be level. If that results in a slight nose up attitude....I'd be tempted to go with that.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Charlotte514
            • Oct 2019

That's the plan. I have tried in the tub and it looks Okay.

Question we had it in a 6.5' deep saltwater pool and resting on the bottom it did not trigger the safety ballast blow (at 6' is suppose to be the setting). The lost signal ballast blow works.
            Any chance the saltwater could effect the 6' calibration? Saltwater is denser so that should trigger the sensor sooner?

If you blow on the sensor it will activate the ballast blow, so the sensor works I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X