Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
    Chips,

Was not aware that the AMA had some sort of club licensing requirement...but do recall that the AMA is very particular about safety.

-tnx!

Jeff
    totally off topic... but...

[rant]
    its not the AMA that has the requirement... its the club. in my location, the two largest clubs have worked with their respective counties to build nice flying fields in open space parks, and then in the last couple years have convinced those respective local gov'ts that anybody who wants to fly in that public park has to have an AMA "license" (in reality, proof of AMA membership) before you can step one foot on the flying field. neither the park (local gov't) nor the club wants the liability when a plane hits a little kid. the clubs think AMA insurance is supposed to cover that.
    [/rant]

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

You don't need a license for 75mHz, just a system, ribbon (yellow), channel card, and respect for those around you who are also on 75mHz. If this is that big of an issue, I have spare 4 channel transmitters. You're on your own for crystals, receivers, ribbon, channel card, and batteries.

Comment

• KTM_EXC
        • Jun 2016

Hi everybody,
        I'm from Italy and I'm a newbie.
        About Skipjack can the 1/72 Revell model be converted to RC?
        I ask you as the Moebius is difficult to find here in Europe.
        Many thanks
        Regards
        Andrea

Comment

It's the same model, just cheaper than the Moebius was.

Comment

• KTM_EXC
            • Jun 2016

thx
            cost saving is a good start

Comment

• EdT3
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
              Ed,

I can't say I have (ever) heard of a license being required to use a 75MHz R/C system in the U.S. Not sure I've heard of that for 72MHz either! In any case, you should be okay. As to your radio, assuming that 4 channels will be enough, you can have it converted to 75MHz by a licensed FCC technician.

Unfortunately, you'll not be able to leverage wireless Ethernet in the typical 2.4GHz range (or any radios that use that frequency) as the signal does not penetrate water. (certainly nothing beyond about an inch of depth)

We'll want Tim Senecal to weigh in here regarding the use of Arduino as he's done some excellent and extensive work with those. In the meantime please take a look here for some good information on Tim's efforts:

-Jeff

p.s. I see that Tom beat me with answers!
              I'll blame old age and bad memory about the license. The RC club I belonged to, Omahawks, required you to clip a tag on a totem board when you were flying that stated you were a member and what frequency you used. It's been a long time since I was a member..........

Comment

• EdT3
                • Jun 2016

And to all who suggested the SkipJack, that's probably where I will start. I don't think I will try to convert the airplane transmitter, but look to see if I can find one either online or locally. There is a pretty big RC hobby store in town, it's been a long time since I've been in the store but I know it's still open. They may know of something local. They probably would have the Skipjack model as well. If not I'll order one online.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. And I'll probably have more questions when I start building.

Comment

• subdude
                  Official Peon
                  • Feb 2003

Welcome to the group. You've had some great answers and advise, the Skipjack is an excellent starting platform.

And I'm going to show my age here, but there was indeed a time when you needed an FCC license to operate any R/C equipment. Back when I was racing gas powered cars in the early 70's you needed an amateur FCC radio license to operate a transmitter (27mhz back then). It was $15 / year if I recall correctly. And there was heard the sounds of great rejoicing when they removed the Morse code requirement from the test. I used to have the license taped to the inside of my transmitter, and my FCC call numbers on the antenna.
                  SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• bigdave
                    • Feb 2003

I think I still have my license Jim. Somewhere.
                    World Engines Controlare single channel system.
                    Still have that too. (Guess I am kind of a packrat)
                    But I recall. $5 or $10. Lol
                    Although I got it in 1966.
                    Must be inflation. BD
                    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• EdT3
                      • Jun 2016

Big Dave, I think both you and subdude are at least my age if you were doing some RC back in the 60's. I'm 57. Mostly in the late 60's I was doing the 2 cable controlled lets get real dizzy model airplanes, where you controlled the elevator with your hand grip which moved the elevator. You just went around and around in circles. If you were good you did loops. I don't know if those are even still for sale anymore.

Comment

• bigdave
                        • Feb 2003

Maybe a few years older, but close.
                        I had a few U-control planes. Makes me dizzy thinking about it.
                        Then went into crashing RC planes, and eventually heli's.
                        Never did master flying.
                        For long anyway. Lol BD
                        sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                        "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

I got too dizzy with the U control. Like you BD, I did planes and crashed them.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• scott t
                            • Feb 2003

You mean they are suppose to go in a full circle before breaking into bits?

Comment

• sam reichart
                              Past President
                              • Feb 2003

two friends of mine were wizards with control line airplanes. R/C was prohibitively expensive back then. (anyone remember Kraft Radios? Galloping Ghost systems? Heath Kit radios?)
                              definitely not the "good old days" back then in this sport.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                                Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                                • Aug 1994

Originally posted by scott t View Post
                                You mean they are suppose to go in a full circle before breaking into bits?
                                No, no, no....! It's called "re-kitting"....

-Jeff
                                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
                                X