• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Christmas wish list

I get a ton of emails, buy this buy that. Every so often something pops up that I think applies to us.

Here is one sale item:

I have not used this, but it's cost is cheaper than some of the other key fob cameras. It has a water resistant case (It says diving, but I do not ee what depth). Not sure how long the sale goes on. Hope this helps someone.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Those cameras have been around a while now. You can get a version that can shoot in 4k, although the frame rate is very low at 10 fps- bit like going back to the days of 8mm film. However you do get high frame rates at 1080p, which could be useful for slow motion footage.

Comment

• ober freak
      • Jan 2014

For the cam sub culture posted it says "Waterproof Rating : 30m underwater"

Marco

Comment

I would take that with a large pinch of salt. However I think it will be more than adequate for the depths most model submariners would intentionally dive to.

One thing that can be more problematical for smaller boats with this 'Gopro' style of cam is that the bluff front will create a large amount of drag, sufficient to seriously upset the handling of your boat. Larger boats can take it okay (e.g. they work well on Engel typhoons), but I would use a camera which is more bullet shaped for boats under four feet.

Comment

This is worth bearing in mind when considering shapes to push through the water. As you can see by the amount of men on the rope, a bluff shape creates a lot more drag, which is a result of turbulence created at the back of the object.

The answer is to streamline the back of the case with a teardrop shaped cone, and aim for a cone length of around six to seven times the width of the camera case for best efficiency.

Click image for larger version

Name:	streamliner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	128337

Comment

Working...
          X