X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssn705
    • Sep 2013

PAPA SSGN in 1/350 - Mikro-mir spruced up for display model crowd

Around a year and a half ago, I started a build of Mikro-mir's 1/350 PAPA SSGN. But, I couldn't just build the kit. I had an overwhelming need to see some of the missile tubes, so I scratchbuilt the interior. I'll post photos with descriptions of what I did over the next few days.

First, the box:

Click image for larger version  Name:	PAPA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	149432

I also chose to extend the bowplanes so I needed to build up some structure so there weren't gaping holes below them:​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PAPA01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	691.5 KB ID:	149434
    Attached Files
  • ssn705
    • Sep 2013

Pretty basic for the first entry. More to come.

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
      • Sep 2013

So, I used drawings from Covert Shores and screen captures from a great old Soviet film that was on YouTube (no longer available because of the war) as well as some pictures from CHARLIEs and OSCARs to develop a plan for how to build the internal structure and figure 8 pressure hulls. I also wanted to ensure I had the cylindrical array, torpedo tubes and weapon loading tube since they could be visible at different angles. Some things are loosely put in place for the pictures and then I straightened everything out.

All standard side missile doors were going to be open and at least one missile tubes hatch was going to be open. I made the missile doors from some metal flashing and then CA'd a thin plastic sheet to the inside to and portion edges to give me the spots to start attaching all the internal structure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PAPA02.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	956.5 KB
ID:	149439Click image for larger version

Name:	PAPA03.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	149441Click image for larger version

Name:	PAPA04.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	762.7 KB
ID:	149443

Cheers,

Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

Pay attention here, those of you who have an interest in Russian submarines, model submarines. I have seen the finished product and it is spectacular! The original kit has NO interior whatsoever and Dave is carefully adding the figure 8 inner hull of the Papa SSGN along with the missile tubes and missiles, as well as the door interior structures. Some real inspirational craftsmanship is being displayed.

Tom

Comment

• ssn705
          • Sep 2013

That's very kind of you Tom.

Dave

Comment

• ssn705
            • Sep 2013

So, I made the decision that I would have the aft most pair of tubes open and the forward three shut. The aft most would be empty, and the one forward of it would still have its missile in the tube. So I needed to make the missile. I roughly crafted it and then decided I would do another one "in flight" and a third "stowed" for display. I finished all the detail for the missile doors and their actuating mechanisms. Multiple test fits and sanding and trimming perfected the fit to match pictures and drawings.

Name:	20210912_151308.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	149451Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_125825.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	149453Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_142514.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	149455

Cheers,

Dave

Attached Files

Comment

• ssn705
              • Sep 2013

Ok, Sunday update. I finished the painting and fit-up of all the internals. Shortly after putting them in, I realized I hadn't opened all the flood holes. So I popped the internals back out and did a bunch of drilling, cutting and sanding while sitting at swim practice. I did have to adjust the placement of some of the holes because the molded pattern was off. Nothing horribly egregious but enough to trigger my AMS and cause me to make the adjustments. You can see where I filled holes in two of the three forward sets of three. I also cut new holes in these groups to make a hole-hole-space-hole pattern vice the hole-space-hole-hole pattern that was molded. The middle set was molded correctly. For the after most holes, the all needed to shift down about a half a hole height so I carved a gap for a square rod, laid it in and sanded it flush. Then I cut open the holes. I made no adjustment to the flood holes on the bottom and just opened them up. I put a backing behind each of them and put the internals back in place.

After I got the hull put all together, I realized that I hadn't opened the the seawater intakes and exhausts for the engineroom (notice a trend?). Since I had already cleaned up the seam, I decided I was just going to work from the outside. I opened them and put low profile covers over them based on some conjecture from drydock pics and knowing that the large scoops she was built with were torn off in an early high speed run and were not replaced.

Name:	20220530_191443.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	149474Click image for larger version

Name:	20220708_190216.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	149476Click image for larger version

Name:	20220709_205446.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	149478

Cheers,

Dave
              Attached Files

Comment

• ssn705
                • Sep 2013

Alright, time to bring this puppy alongside. After I got through all of my "forgot to"s, I dove in to the past that I fear the most, final painting. I love the scratchbuilding and the problem-solving that goes with it. I always just send up painting under a cloud of "I'm going to screw up all of my hard work now".

So, painting actually went smoothly until I pulled the last bit of making tape on the bow and saw a slight offset on the black and red boundary. Luckily, some light sanding and a targeted mask and spray fixed it quickly...new skill, yay! Shortly after this, I would put my new skill to work because, of course, I managed to drop PAPA. Super minor damage except for my popped seam cleanup work below the open missile doors. A nice little crack. I ended up doing a number of refills of the crack and a number of sand, mask and spray cycles before it was finally good. After a few days, I had finally exorcised the ever-present threat of totally screwing this boat up.

Of course I wasn't finally clear... Prior to decals, I threw on the gloss coat...and somehow, despite following my normal, careful routine, I ended up with a hair in it. I managed to tweeze it out but I was left with a trench in the clear coat...time for a new experience. I pulled out my super fine sanding films and decided to treat it like sanding a clear aircraft canopy. Lo and behold, it worked. After two days of fine sanding, a quick shot of gloss coat, and nothing was visible.

After that, decals and a dull coat...and Viola! Done.

Name:	20220928_172552.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	149491Click image for larger version

Name:	20220928_172602.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	149492Click image for larger version

Name:	20220928_172716.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.64 MB