Trafalgar Class - HMS Trenchant in 1/72 scale - Magnetic End Cap with piston system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Trafalgar Class - HMS Trenchant in 1/72 scale - Magnetic End Cap with piston system

Bought Erich's Trafalgar when he first posted it for sale. Was hoping to build it and sail with him at the next SubFest, well sadly that will not happen, so this build is done with Erich in mind.

I am going to do this one as the HMS Trenchant (S91) in the color scheme that the sub only had on for a short while - in 1999, the blue dazzle dazzle camouflage.
    The only reference photos I can find are these:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	885.3 KB ID:	148675
    Not sure if the photo above was the Trenchant or another sub or if it was when the paint was first being put on. I will assume it is the Trenchant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	148671
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	148674
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	890.0 KB ID:	148673

This next photo was shared by a gentleman that worked around or on the Trenchant. He mentioned that this color scheme was for more tropic or Mediterranean regions, but never got tested in those waters. He also mentioned that the paint they used did not last long at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	148672
    Attached Files
    Last edited by salmon; 07-05-2022, 03:00 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Here are the photos Erich sent me of the one I purchased.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	148677

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	148678

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	148679

Name:	IMG_2169.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	148680

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	148681

Name:	IMG_2171.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	148682

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	148684

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	148683

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	593.1 KB
ID:	148685

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	148686

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	148687

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	148688

OTW builds a really nice hull!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Tom,
      The boat in the pics is Trenchant. She's the only one to get that scheme. HMS Torbay had a very small splash of the light blue on her sail with the hull sides a very dark, sorta purply blue. There are some more pics on the 'net, including a nice artists rendering that illustrates the scheme very well. Also, Brian Cliffe posted some nice pics/videos of his boat in Canadian waters some years back. I think there are some good ones in past SCRs. I'll look and see what I can drag up and will let you know.

Take care,

Bill

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Bill,
        Thank you!
        The more reference the better!
        Looking at the photos, it looks like the sad and some portions of the sides had tiles. So, that is what I am going to run with.
        Using a Sharpe pen marked areas that I need to cut out or be careful about.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_007.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	148700

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_008.jpg
Size:	716.0 KB
ID:	148702

I was a little bummed the aft planes were one piece, so I will need to cut this up and make it work.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_009.jpg
Size:	638.5 KB
ID:	148701

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_010.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	714.7 KB
ID:	148703

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_011.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	148704

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

So to create the tiles, I 3D printed a pattern using a resin printer. When you complete a resin print you are supposed to cure it, until you do there is some flex in it. I used that flex to create a wrap for the sail. Using rubber bands to apply pressure and keep things snug against the hull.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_012.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	148706
          In Nevada we get a lot of sun, it's not hell, but I can see it from where I live.
          Once cured, The rubberbands can come off.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_013.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	148712
          Began working on scopes and masts.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_014.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	148707
          Cout out or drilled areas for the things I will add.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_015.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	148709

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_016.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	148711

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_017.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	148708
          Also added a floor for holding the scopes and masts.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_018.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	148710

Comment

• wlambing
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

Tom,

The sonar bubble on the aft edge of the sail is completely wrong, but do what you are doing!!!!! All edges of the "applique" should have a fillet applied to give a 45 degree transition bevel down to where it meets hull/sail plating. The Small World Models kit had that done very nicely in the original molding. Got distracted, but will be picking that little girl up in the work schedule again soon.

Take care,

Bill

ps- NICE WORK, very CLEVER!!

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

Thank you Bill!

I made 3D scopes and masts. This took a LOOONG time to make. The English are very protective of their stuff. So, I made these as close as I could. Also some things changed with time, so I needed to be mindful of that.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_019.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	148719

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_020.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	148720

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_021.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	148721

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_022.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	148722

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_023.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	148723
              I am amazed at the details I can add. There are bolt heads around the base.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_024.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	148718

Comment

• wlambing
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Nice! Entering the realm of museum stuff! That art piece I mentioned was a Color Guide from White Ensign Models (now defunct?) that I found on the net and used for many years as wallpaper on my EB 'puter.

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

WEM had some great paints for matching original colors. I thought they got bought out by someone, does anyone know if they still live somewhere? I wonder if Wayback Machine has a snapshot of their old website?......Hmmmm may have to check.

The sail is put away for later work (like add lights, railings, and other details).
                  Erich had purchased the pump jet for this sub and it is a beauty. Then I got it in my head, can I make this in 3D? So, I played using plans I had for the Trafalgar and was able to come up with a decent replica.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_025.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	148730

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_026.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	148726
                  I chucked it up in my drill and used the kiddie pool as a test. While is did O.K., it seemed to choke out at speed. So, I printed a second one with fewer blades. That made all the difference in the world. It pushed plenty of water through it.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_027.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	148727

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_028.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	148728

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_029.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	148731

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_030.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	148732
                  Made a couple of alignment jigs to keep the shaft centered while affixing the pump jet.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_031.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	148733

A lot of filler and sanding to get a nice smooth taper.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_033.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	148729

​​​​​​​

Comment

• salmon
                    Treasurer
                    • Jul 2011

I did a water test on unpainted resin parts to see what the longterm effects are for submerged parts made from the resin I am using.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	148735
                    So, there is some swelling and it seemed to taper off after 3 days in the water. I did notice after several weeks parts became soft. How soon after? I stopped measuring and did not pay attention.I figured after a few days it is not important because our sub are not in the water that long and are also painted. So, the impact of parts swelling to our hobby is minimal. Interesting, Once I removed the parts, within a day, it was firm again and swelling was already down substantially.
                    Just an FYI.
                    Last edited by salmon; 07-08-2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• salmon
                      Treasurer
                      • Jul 2011

The aft dive planes, for me, needed to be re-done. It comes as one piece, but the plans show it as two pieces plus some towed array on the ends.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	982.5 KB
ID:	148748
                      Cut and drilled.....drilling gets me in trouble so the many attempts made it a cavern that I filled later once the shaft went through as it should.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034b.jpg
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	148750
                      There is a 3D piece on the end for the towed array as shown in the plans.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034c.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	148751
                      Coated with Nitrostan and sanded.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034d.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	879.7 KB
ID:	148749
                      The next two photos are the same process. Coat, sand, prime, sand, coat, sand and on and on.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034e.jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	148753

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034df.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	148755

Once I was happy with the master, Madde a mold and cast a pair of planes.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034g.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	148754

Plane after removing from mold and put together.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034h.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	148752

Prime and ready for paint.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_034i.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	148756
                      Attached Files

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

The rudders were mostly simple (again laughable if you know my drilling skills). The lower rudder a 1/8 brass rod was inserted. Sanded and filled and primed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_038.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	148775
                        The upper rudder needed some modifications. There is a notch on the plans and so I added it to mine. I drilled all the way through and inserted a 1/8" tube not solid. My thought is I will run wires for a light. If you look towards the right or top of the rudder you can see one of the unintentional exits while drilling that I filled.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	148774

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	148776
                        Inside the aft I made some alignment pieces that served a couple of purposes. One, to bolt into and other was to add a clip to where the two parts (upper and lower) of the hull match up. I marked any rods that needed to be cut back.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_043.jpg Views:	0 Size:	879.3 KB ID:	148770
                        Used brass tubes as bushings for the rudders.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,009.1 KB ID:	148772
                        A couple of layers of fiberglass to strengthen the mated pieces and assembled all the pushrod horns, washers and bolts.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,004.3 KB ID:	148771

On the outside of the hull I made tiles to match the plans and the photos.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_046.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,011.8 KB ID:	148773

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_047.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	148777
                        The aft where I separated the tail cone from the hull needed to be cleaned up and fill gaps.
                        Once I put a layer of Evercoat Metal Glaze down and let it begin to set, I run a metal shim through to make my parting line.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	148778
                        If you look closely you can see the line.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS_Trenchant_049a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	148779

Oh, I forgot this photo
                        This is how the bow planes are installed.

Name:	image_10037.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	695.6 KB
ID:	148769

Comment

• wlambing
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

Tom,

That notch in the upper rudder is for clearance to the large pedestal bearing that the rudder blade sits on. IRL, the bearing protrudes out each side by a couple of inches. Took awhile to do on my Upholder, but I got it done. Looks way more betterer than just a clean blade. Lookin' good, dude!!!

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

Thank you Bill!
                            I am close to getting the build caught up to where I am now.

Comment

• salmon
                              Treasurer
                              • Jul 2011

The sail is secured to the hull with a couple of screws. In the sail, I cut some Garolite to fit fore and aft in the sail. I epoxied nuts in there as well. When I am closer to final finish, I will add some washers inside the hull for securing the sail.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_050.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	148798

The four legged fluffy bottom monster knocked my sub off the bench. I was pleased this was all that happened to the edge.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_051.jpg
Size:	825.9 KB
ID:	148806

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_052.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	148807
                              Used masking tape to create a dam and filled with Bondo. Sanded to shape and blend the outer edges. The inside edge I did not get to crazy on, but left it a little thicker for strength.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_053.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	960.9 KB
ID:	148802

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_054.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	901.3 KB
ID:	148804
                              If you zoom in you can see a small edge. This was coated with CA prior to re-painting.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_055.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	798.7 KB
ID:	148800
                              The hull gets another coat. This will not be the final coat. Each time I coat it, I see other areas that need fixing.

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_056.jpg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	148808

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_057.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	148803

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_058.jpg
Size:	1,008.9 KB
ID:	148805

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_059.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	658.2 KB
ID:	148799

Name:	HMS_Trenchant_060.jpg
Size:	973.0 KB
ID:	148801
                              Currently I am baking my sub.....I want to see what 113 degrees Fahrenheit (45 Celsius). Will the 3d printed stuff pop off?

Comment

Working...
                              X