I'm back!?!?! And need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back!?!?! And need help!

I'll try to make this really brief. 23 year dream of building and owning rc sub. My account was still active on this site.
    made an attempt when I was 33 or so. Almost 42 now.
    I have BIG hobby workshop. tons of tools. 3d printer. dedicated desktop. Multiple work stations...including a dedicated electronics table.
    I have dragged what I gathered over the years around. This is what I have left.
    Dumas Akula hull (built by a 30 year old who had no skills)
    Moebius Skipjack. Unbuilt in box. This is what I intend to use.
    A great little motor. ESC. And an automatic leveler that I lost instructions for.
    I'm feeling overwhelmed. While a lot of the knowledge is there. And my modeling skills have increased exponentially. I cant see where to start.
    I have found a 3d file for the interior of a wtc. For the Skipjack on Thingiverse. so I'm good there. The file is in German but google translate has told me what it says.
    So i know the size of the wtc i should get.
    I want a new leveler. maybe a depth control. I want a ballast system.
    WHAT DO I DO NEXT? Where do I start?
    My plan is to start printing the interior of the wtc. Get a transmitter and receiver make sure it all works good.
    I also need to build the hull up. And I cant seem to find plans or advice on how to convert what is a static model to a functioning hull for the wtc.
    I know I want a ballast. What attracts me to this is the ballast.
    Someone! Please! Write me a list of what to do first second and third!!!!!
    Point me to the best vendor for what I need located in US/CANADA ( YUP I'M A CANNUCK)
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Mark
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

Welcome back.

Until you have all the parts to go inside the cylinder, I would not print a tray just yet.
    If you do there will be lots of modifications.

My Skipjack has gone through 7 full system modifications over the years.
    3 or 4 different ballast systems.
    I currently have an Engel's piston in the boat and I plan to keep it after building and running an Engle's Akula II with a piston.

The boat went from a Z cut hull to a center line cut.
    Center line for me is much better and easier to work on the cylinder parts.
    (this would have been easier if I started when the hull was already centerline cut)

I have gone through several motors and all were too fast.
    Ended with a motor and speed controller specifically made for submarines.

Yes, the parts are expensive but they are a lot cheaper to buy first and not buy three or four different system to get there.

I started by building the rear control surfaces including the yokes.
    I built working sail planes and I built masts that went up and down. (this took a very long time to get right and after running the boat at the lake just once, I removed all of the mast stuff and went with plug in masts)

My build was on another forum that is no longer up.
    Here is my personal web site.

I suggest not doing the mast gizmo.

There are other modification pages but I see I need to up date my site to get them visible. (linked them)
    Last edited by Ralph --- SSBN 598; 02-13-2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

A note that is important.
      When I post my builds, they include mistakes so hopefully others won't make the same mistakes or can modify them to work to them.

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Mark,
        Welcome back. Let the adventure begin!
        I have a build on my skipjack maybe it will help.

Enjoy and post your progress.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

What would you suggest for purchase? WTC? Fittings? Electronics tray? And most importantly dive system?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

Nautilus drydocks for all your rc sub needs
            Ask for Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              No one
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ahab79 View Post
              What would you suggest for purchase? WTC? Fittings? Electronics tray? And most importantly dive system?
              Welcome home....

A lot has changed in you're absence. I left the hobby for ~ 7 years and was floored when I returned.

Not even going to get into the radio argument lol.

The ubiquitous WTC is not the only route. With your shop, tool's and experience...think OUTSIDE the box.

We now put servo's, motors, ESC's in the "wet".

Here's an example of what can be done with the equipment and skills you have to outfit a hull for under $100USD. Less RC Electronics of course, but you need that regardless.

USS ULYSSES S GRANT SSBN631: Skeletal Dive System
              Last edited by QuarterMaster; 02-17-2021, 05:08 PM.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
              NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
              USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

I have a fittings kit for the Skipjack on the Drydocks. That kit helps quite a bit to make the conversion easier for you.

As tempting as it is, I don't recommend that a first sub project involve building out your own cylinder. It's possible that you could knock it out successfully, but the odds of doing so successfully on your first outing is very (very) small. Get a boat working, then get fancy with building your own gear while you have an operational boat to play with in the meantime.

Bob
                The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

I can only second Bob's response here. David Merriman taught me when I completed my first sub, "Crawl, Walk, Run". It was great advice. It is so easy to get lost in I want working torpedoes, raising masts, lights, sound, and oh can I add smoke to my diesel submarine (oh yeah, a working ballast system too). All this adds up to a submarine being shelved and collecting dust (it did for me on my first sub purchased in the early 80's). There are a lot of hurdles to over come in building a working submarine. Each additional add-on is an additional frustration. Keep it simple.

There are two ways you can go. Build your own WTC or buy one that is tested and works. I bought my first wtc, it was a Sub-Driver for my Gato. This gives you the best way to learn and get a working sub into the water. Plus, support from everyone who has bought one can help you get to the pond.

The other way is to build your own. That will be filled with experimenting, testing, successes and failures. I am doing that phase now. There is a great satisfaction in getting it to work. I do not know your skill set. You could be a person that has the ability to build your own, however for most people this is not the best first choice.. Neither one is cheap, but for the investment you are starting in this (and already have) my suggestion is get a pre-made cylinder.

Bob now has the Sub-Driver name. There is also Ron (R&R Model Engineers - http://www.rcsubs.co.uk/revellskipjack) in the U.K. has a wtc for the Skipjack and a couple in Germany, the Czech Republic, and China (I do not have links to all of the ones out there, but you have choices). So, check them out. However, having "local" support is a bonus and you get that with Bob.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                  X