• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

NHHC Photos

Guys, I may be behind the times but I just noticed how much work the Naval History and Heritage Command has put into upgrading their digital photo collection. They've had sub photos available for years but they've always been at a fairly moderate resolution. Lately I discovered that the images have been upgraded to offer low, medium and high (5000+ pixels) resolution copies for download. Needless to say I snagged some hi-rez Wahoo images among others.

What's cool is how much detail can pop out of the background with these much larger files. For example, here's an image in the previously available size. I always wanted to see more detail of the recently added (circled) TBT mount on the RDF loop antenna. Unfortunately, it was always too blurry to make out much detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	842_portaft.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	138009

Here is a zoomed in selection of the TBT from the same image in hi-rez download. Pretty sweet!

Name:	tbt.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	138010

I also stumbled across an interesting little detail in this shot of USS Whale (SS-239). What's that perched on the JP hydrophone?

Name:	whaledeck.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	138011

Here's a detail from the hi-rez version. How'd that guy get up there and manage to stay put?

Name:	whale-dog.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	138012

Anyway, here's a link to the archives: https://www.history.navy.mil/our-col...otography.html. You never now what you might find.
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Thanks Paul. I see that have one of those mysterious sea pups.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Paul,
      Thank you, great reference photos!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
      X