• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

veterans/servicemen/servicewomen idea for generating interest

This is a split from the topic on multiple regattas.
    The idea was made by Scott T to get SC involved with servicemen and servicewomen. Here is the quote:

Originally posted by scott t View Post
    Some thoughts:
    What about targeting those that might join the RC submarine hobby and piggy back a regatta at a maker fair or navy event.

Since we have $15K in the bank and rising how about giving a free SCR subscriptions to all active military members. And 1 year or more free to all veterans.
    Some way to get SCR in veterans hospitals, Library checkout, etc.

Scott T
    Are there Navy events we could support?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

The SubCommittee has pretty much always tried to support both active Navy as well as vets with subscriptions to the SCR. It was pretty simple to do so when the SCR was published in printed form. Now that we're 'electronic'...i.e.: PDF....it should be even easier.

For those that would still require a printed magazine we do have the ability to "print on demand" a full color, bound SCR. Of course, the cost of printing and mailing would need to be taken into account. But we can do it!

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
      The SubCommittee has pretty much always tried to support both active Navy as well as vets with subscriptions to the SCR. It was pretty simple to do so when the SCR was published in printed form. Now that we're 'electronic'...i.e.: PDF....it should be even easier.

For those that would still require a printed magazine we do have the ability to "print on demand" a full color, bound SCR. Of course, the cost of printing and mailing would need to be taken into account. But we can do it!

-Jeff
      Thanks Tom!

How do we get the word out if we do this? How would we “verify” their status as active/retired military?
      I really like the idea of trying to expand this support.

Comment

• JWLaRue
        • Aug 1994

We used to create memberships for active USS Navy ships, not for individuals. The idea being that the SCR would essentially go into the ship's library. Something like that may work today as well.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• scott t
          • Feb 2003

As far as sub veterans go I will send an email and see if there is any interest from the USSVI.
          US Submarine Veterans Base. There appears to be bases all over the US.
          Would it be OK if I emailed one SCR PDF to these folks? I can point them to the one on the website.
          Web page clock seems to be off as it says I am posting at 3:15 am and it is only 10:21 pm here in OKC.

Last edited by scott t; 09-12-2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• scott t
            • Feb 2003

Besides adding ships libraries I think we need to add individuals. Maybe an add in SCR stating memberships available to
            active service would be all it takes to add interested folks. Of course we would not want to do anything that looked like
            phishing for service personnel's information.

How about Subscription at events. Everyone have been very generous to donate Sub stuff which helps pay for the
            Regatta. Why not give away subscriptions to those that show interest at these events. Get a person looking at 6 issues
            of SCR. Sign them up on the spot if possible or give them a poster with web address to the free SCR on web site.

Scott T
            Last edited by scott t; 09-12-2018, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• JWLaRue
              • Aug 1994

Would it be OK if I emailed one SCR PDF to these folks?
              Absolutely! Please do.

Web page clock seems to be off as it says I am posting at 3:15 am and it is only 10:21 pm here in OKC.
              The forum 'runs' on GMT-5:00 time. Check your profile to verify that you have it set to the correct timezone for Oklahoma....go to the 'settings' link in the upper right of the forum page:

Settings -> General Settings ...then scroll about 2/3rds of the way down to find the timezone setting. Daylight savings time settings are there as well.

If you still see an issue, please let me know!

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• mike dory
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2004

Jeff, If you could mail me say 5 copies of the SCR, I could place them in the waiting room at Loma Linda V.A. Hospital. There is always more folks waiting then there is magzines to go around and the wait is some times very long. Mike

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  • Aug 1994

Mike,

Great idea!

We're working out the details to get the SCRs printed and into your hands. Stand by for further details.

-very much appreciated,
                  Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    • Aug 1994

Mike,

Okay, you should be hearing from Jeff Porteous for finalizing the arrangement to get printed SCRs to you.

-Jeff
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
                    X