• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

multiple Regattas? Feedback please!

In the September issue of the Report, I mentioned the idea of having more than one meet up type of Regatta for the organization; I was wondering if there could potentially be three? One east coast, one central US and one west coast that could give folks in these areas a closer venue that they could attend. I've heard from a few people already that this had been considered before, and I wanted to put this idea out here on the forum and try to get some feedback about the idea. I know there's a strong west coast/northwest interest. We have the central covered with Carmel. The Regatta in Groton always pulled in a lot of members, so I'm pretty sure we can find something for the east side of the country.
    I would really like poeple's thoughts on this. It takes some volunteers to pull these off, to be sure. But having something "official" in some geographically disparate areas seems like it would open opportunities up for the organization to grow and expose more people to the hobby.

All I can see that would be a bit tricky is having them scheduled so that the weather cooperates for each one.

What do you all think?
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

I am all for that, Sam! We have several beautiful venues out West to choose from. I think this is a fantastic idea!
    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bob_eissler
      SubCommittee Member
      • Aug 2005

A great idea!
      We should have enough resources to pull it off. Travel time is always a big consideration for most people so having a regatta closer to them is helpful. Getting together and sharing the experience of running our subs binds people together and generates more enthusiasm than anything else the club can do.

Comment

• bob the builder
        Former SC President
        • Feb 2003

Would make a huge difference for me. I vote Florida for an east coast venue (in the dead of winter, of course).
        The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• scott t
          • Feb 2003

Some thoughts:
          You have a main regatta that happens and could possible move around the country.
          You have groups that meet regularly at casting pools in California and meetings elsewhere around the country.
          What about targeting those that might join the RC submarine hobby and piggy back a regatta at a maker fair or navy event.

Since we have $15K in the bank and rising how about giving a free SCR subscriptions to all active military members. And 1 year or more free to all veterans.
          Some way to get SCR in veterans hospitals, Library checkout, etc.

Thanks for polling our members on Regattas. Sorry I went off subject a little.

Scott T

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

I like Scott’s idea for our veterans and service men. That is something to discuss more. Are there Navy events we could support?
            Regarding 4regattas, I thought for a long time we needed more.
            Four regattas, four seasons. Summer, Carmel, Fall, San Francisco, etc...
            Or something like that. It would take a lot of people to get involved and jump in. I am not sure if the numbers are there to make 4 happen. Maybe do a east and west (mid-west or whatever is decided) to begin with.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

93 views, and only a couple of replies thus far.
              Come on folks; give us more feedback!

Scott/Tom- could one of you please open a new thread for the conversation on the veterans/servicemen/servicewomen idea? I like where that's headed, but I'd like to keep this one focused on the regatta question.

Tom- I was thinking three, just based on east/central/west. Having one on the east in Fla in winter as Bob suggested would be a great way to spread the season out. Lord knows there's plenty of water around there too.

Matt has mentioned the NW for one; pulling in the Canada members. But San Francisco would be a good spot; kind of central between SoCal and the NW guys...

Keep the ideas coming.

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

Let us not forget possibly having one in the UK or Spain or in Canada? Do all have to be in U.S. - just throwing that out there. Sam since you brought it up, the number of people offering their thoughts may make it near impossible to pull three of. How many did it take in Carmel? Multiply that by 3 or 4 it might mean we do not have enough volunteers to do it. Just sayin.....
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• thor
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2009

Maybe, we might leave the event details up to the local folks in the various areas being considered. One size does not fit all. Nobody says the events need to be as elaborate as the excellent event in Carmel. Maybe we can get creative and do more with less? These events evolve over the long term of many years. One of the most fun events I ever attended was in Vancouver, B.C. in 1991. It was dead simple and a ton of fun. I'd go to that one again and again. Another issue to consider is the cost of gas, hotels, & food. Traffic issues are a big consideration, too.
                  Last edited by thor; 09-10-2018, 07:28 PM.
                  Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                    Let us not forget possibly having one in the UK or Spain or in Canada? Do all have to be in U.S. - just throwing that out there. Sam since you brought it up, the number of people offering their thoughts may make it near impossible to pull three of. How many did it take in Carmel? Multiply that by 3 or 4 it might mean we do not have enough volunteers to do it. Just sayin.....
                    I was thinking international too, Tom. UK and Spain came to mind immediately.

Comment

Working...
                    X