• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dusty77
    • Mar 2016

Submarine table of offsets

Hello,

I am a student in college and for my class project we have to draw a scaled version of a ship.

I would like to do a submarine, preferably a recent US one. I was wondering if anyone has the table of offsets for any sub so I can start drawing.

Regards
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

These are not recent, besides recent subs are just so boring (ducking as I say this and also joking)

Look them over and see if you are inspired.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

This may be something like you are looking for?

-Jeff
      Attached Files
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• southern or
        • May 2014

The basic dimensions of most subs are available, but I don't think anyone has published any of their tables. The best I could find is this for the Barbel class and the Albacore-both diesel subs that led to the current hull designs (except the barbel class is double hulled). It might help to ask the kit makers for their tables if they're willing to part with them. As a side note, the Barbel Class was superior to the Los Angles Class(s) in a lot of ways. Their drawbacks were their ability to only cary torpedoes and having not been AIP boats, the need to operate close to the surface during recharges. On battery power they were (and are still) much quieter. If you can find the width of the stern, bow, beam, and length you should be able to work out the taper.

Some more here. The webmaster of this site is also on here. What you won't find are exact measurements on active submarine classes. I recommended the Barbel class (specifically USS Blueback SS-581) because most of the info on them is declassified. For a while OMSI even sold a print of her basic schematics.

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

Unless you find a copy of yard drawings (e.g.: from The Floating Drydock) for a sub that you like, I believe that the [i]Skipjack[/] drawing I posted is as close as your going to get. It certainly has more information that the (very interesting) PDF that Southern Or posted.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• southern or
            • May 2014

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
            Unless you find a copy of yard drawings (e.g.: from The Floating Drydock) for a sub that you like, I believe that the [i]Skipjack[/] drawing I posted is as close as your going to get. It certainly has more information that the (very interesting) PDF that Southern Or posted.

-Jeff
            The best I've ever found was the OMSI print of the declassified drawings for Blueback, but even those are incomplete and I think out of print now. The PDF is the best thing I've found for how a modern sub hull is designed and some of the equations are in it in case he needs to design from scratch. BUT Engel's does sell too scale drawings of most of their boats.

Comment

Working...
            X