• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Live EC meeting available for viewing 06/26/21 at 3pmEST

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

Our next live Executive Team meeting will be this coming Saturday, June 26th at 3pm eastern standard time. We will be offering an update on current EC initiatives and taking questions from attendees. We sincerely hope to see you there. We will be recording it for anyone unable to attend, and posting it to the SubCommittee YouTube channel for later viewing.

Bob Martin
    SC President

The SubCommittee Executive Team is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Live SubCommittee Executive Team Meeting
    Time: Jun 26, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
    Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

Meeting ID: 925 9317 4644
    Passcode: 160960
    One tap mobile
    +13017158592,,92593174644#,,,,*160960# US (Washington DC)
    +13126266799,,92593174644#,,,,*160960# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
    +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
    +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
    Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/axvXG47tv
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

UPDATE!:

Due to a conflict with one of the EC members, the meeting has been pushed back to 5:30pm EST. Meeting invitation details below:

Bob Martin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Live SubCommittee Executive Team Meeting
    Time: Jun 26, 2021 05:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
    Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

One tap mobile
    +13017158592,,92593174644#,,,,*160960# US (Washington DC)
    +13126266799,,92593174644#,,,,*160960# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
    +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
    +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
    +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
    +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
    Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/axvXG47tv
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• Sonar
      • Jul 2017

I'm sorry, but I'm at a vernissage and it's too late for me.

Comment

• bob the builder
        Former SC President
        • Feb 2003

We will be recording and posting the video up for anyone who can't make it to review at a later time.

Bob

Comment

• bob the builder
          Former SC President
          • Feb 2003

Just a note for those looking for an update. The meeting did take place, as planned and was recorded. Unfortunately I did not have time before I had to leave for Texas to edit and transfer to Ed for uploading to the SC YouTube channel. I will be back home on the 26th and will have it posted up shortly thereafter.

On this topic, however, I have to say that I was exceptionally disappointed and dismayed by the lack of member turnout. Of the hundreds of members we have, only TWO took the time to show up and chime in on current and future initiatives. This indicates to me that either A) the meeting time was inconvenient for everyone (obvious for our international members, but I don't buy it for our domestic ones), B) members assumed that they would just watch the video later and not have to participate, or C) members could not be bothered to take the time to contribute to the organization or hobby as a whole.

We on the EC are working hard, but we can't do this alone. I, for one, have no intention of dragging membership along behind us. If we're not walking lock-step in a unified direction, I fail to see the point in investing any further energy into a group that has no interest in making this organization better.

Maybe I'm being harsh. Maybe I'm just whacked up on painkillers. Regardless, I want to see engagement, feedback, guidance and interest on behalf of the members here.

We are in this together, people. Let's make it happen.

Bob Martin
          President - SubCommittee

Comment

• Sonar
            • Jul 2017

Let's see it positively: You are fine and recovering.

It is depressing when the offer is not taken. When I look around, everyone feels the same. But why is that? We are the model building elite, no question about it. Are we being noticed? Does the fascination penetrate outside? This was a point even before Corona, the pandemic restrictions only made it worse. Our hobby thrives heavily on personal contact, which hardly happens any more. Video conferences are all the more important, but give them clear topics, exciting content and – submarines.

Bernhard

Comment

• wlambing
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2003

Don't forget that a bunch of us can't, or won't, play the "high technology" game. I can't and won't. I don't have a smart phone, nor a tablet (which would be almost useless for doing research, anyway), and my computer is a POS. When the SCR comes out, I read it, download it, save it. If there's something relevant to what I need, I print that part of the pdf. I don't post any pictures or threads of any work because the process is too f'n complicated. There are many more out there like me. Leadership should never forget that. I check the forums and my e-mail pretty much everyday in the morning and that is it. I watch YouTube on my 55" tv, and have yet to be able to find the SC page of videos using the search function. I have watched all videos that Bob has made available, some of Tom's, a bunch of Ed's (even the sailing stuff) and a few others. Because I'm using the tv, I can't comment, or otherwise participate (maybe I could, but there are no instructions on how to do so). Instructions are good, which is why I always have the book for my Polk radio handy, and why my VEX radio will always be used with the settings "as-is" because there are no instructions available for it. I found stuff, printed it, and it's all robotics bull-shit. That's ok, 'cos I'll make it work in my boat(s) Sorry I don't fit the bill of what you think a well appointed SC member should be. I have raised this issue with you before, but the pharmaceuticals may have clouded that.

I am glad that you are on the mend, and do so hope that you've gotten this shit beaten!!!

Bill
              Retired, Fixed income, Curmudgeon

Comment

• David F
                SubCommittee Member
                • Jan 2016

Sorry I missed the June online meeting (I was on holiday.)
                I took part in the meeting before that and I found it very interesting and well managed.
                Speaking as a member in the UK, it is particularly good to be able to interact with folks who I have only been in touch with by email before and would have difficulty in meeting in person. (It is still quite a wide ocean!)
                Thanks and keep it up!

David

Comment

• bob the builder
                  Former SC President
                  • Feb 2003

Bill,

I (we) have not forgotten about the demographic of members we have here. Certainly you and those like you make up a not-insignificant fraction, and we need to ensure that we put effort into accommodating you.

That said, there is a huge, digital world out there that is full of amazing things, valuable information, and unforgettable people. By refusing to invest in the most basic tools and learn the most basic fundamentals that have become the cornerstone of today's world, you're cutting yourself off from that. As much as people might wail, weep and stomp their feet over the evolution of today's society toward online chat rooms, digital meetings and PDF books, that's just the way it is. It's not going back and it will only get more technology dependent in the future. The loss of the previously mentioned valuable resources to you are not the fault of vendors, manufacturers and organizations, it's the fault of those unwilling to learn how to take advantage of them. The knowledge and resources to do so are freely available almost anywhere you look, even in (gasp) paper book format.

I, for one, would be willing to invest my own time and energy into creating basic tutorials for those frustrated with aspects of information sharing, computerized radio programming, or any other topic that would be beneficial. Perhaps we could do a training night once every couple of weeks on a topic of that group's choice.

By the way, the online EC meeting, while primarily focused on interactive video, also has full support for people who just want to pick up the phone and call in. No video. No sign in, just a phone number. Certainly that is within the realm of comfort for the technologically challenged or fearful?

At the beginning of this reply, I admitted that the demographic of technology-adverse deserve time and effort to accommodate. I stand by that statement. That said, in my mind (and we can discuss this further at our next EC meeting) that effort amount should pale in comparison to focusing on the tools that will allow us as an organization to reach and impact the largest population possible. That population, my friend, is that with basic and fundamental comfort with today's core toolbox of skills, including email, online video chats, forum use, online digital payments (YIKES!!!!), online membership management, and other similar tools.

Perhaps you feel like we are alienating you and others like you. Certainly if that is the case, we need to hear about it, but I'm not interested in complaints without solutions. It's easy to pick apart the work of other people, and much harder to think critically about the core problem and create viable strategy to solve it.

Standing by for comments, and all of those wonderful solutions that I mentioned previously.

Let's get to work.

Bob Martin
                  SubCommittee President

Comment

Working...
                  X