X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

...and Tom is going to collect his WIP postings and submit them as an article for the SCR.. We're good. Thanks, Tom!

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

Thank you, Tom!
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

Well referring back to my original post, I think that it would be nice to have one or two designs for simple to build submarines. I think that would go a long way to engaging with newcomers to the hobby.

I'm am aware of simple designs in the past, but most are getting very long in the tooth now, and in general most never inspired me with confidence to put an expensive multi-channel set into them.

I have some ideas on that, but it would be helpful if someone could translate my sketches into nice CAD drawings and or 3D views. This is where knowing who is out there and how they're willing to contribute comes in handy- it enables members to work as a team instead of individuals in isolation.

Although I agree that we should not allow the organisation to descend into the red financially, I think a $15k buffer is rather high.

I personally don't believe the issues facing the future of this organisation can be solved with cash, it's really down to having warm bodies interacting and engaging, e.g. time and talent.

Comment

• bwi
          SubCommittee Member
          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by thor View Post
          Bart,

I am not one known for any level of political correctness. The issues you are referring have been unsuccessfully adressed in the open and behind the scenes. To change minds and hearts takes a very long time. I do not see it being solved easily nor quickly. I'm not going to drag up ancient history and dwell on bones. Perhaps one day reconciliation will be , but It is going to take a long time.
          Ok I will stick around to see it happen.
          Grtz,
          Bart
          Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
          "Samuel Smiles"
          http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

• thor
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2009

Andy,

Can you shoot me over what you have in mind? I can certainly CAD it up and even animate it. I think that is well worth doing.
            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bwi
              SubCommittee Member
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by salmon View Post
              Bart,
              What you feel is real. I know because every so often I get emailed about me mentioning some people. It is strange that as a R/C submarine organization, that we would exclude or ignore a chunk of our hobbies vendors. That, in my opinion is not servicing our hobby, but placing past incidents before anything else. I read the old SCR articles a lot, and it is worth the annual membership fee alone. In those articles I find praise and great words for who now is shunned.
              Should a vendor be shunned? Yes. In cases of fraud or misleading advertising. This is not the case here. I also see this vendors product in use in subs at Fun Runs, even ones that are maybe a decade old. So, people are not stupid and see what goes on.
              Knowing that, please do not be like those you have just mentioned, throwing out the baby with the bath water (an old saying here in the U.S. so I hope it makes sense over the pond). Please stick around. As a hobby we accomplish nothing if we begin to draw a line and make people choose to stand on one side or the other. That being said you should be able to express yourself and share your thoughts and opinions. As a healthy organization that is what is needed to help grow and build membership.
              I do not want to see this turn into a fight or make a bigger deal than it is, if so we perpetuate the whole issue all over again. Many members on this site, and vendors too, are friends on both sides of the fence. They know and see what is going on, but choose to see a greater idea of how our hobby needs to be. The further we get from the things of the past, the more accepting, I hope, this organization will be for all aspects of our hobby. I also have friends that are on one side or the other and it is uncomfortable. Sometimes motives are mistaken incorrectly because of your association, but hopefully in time people will get to know you as a person, and see the value you bring rather than the product you use. Bart you are talented in this hobby and a great asset to this organization. You enjoy sharing what you know and like you pointed out, that is needed. So, please hang on and help build the r/c submarine hobby, no matter what product you use.

Regarding the bath water we have the same expression here.

After reading your and matt's comments my conclusion is that if the organization can't turn it around than the change must come from individuals.
              I will stick around and do my thing and try to make a small contribution to the hobby neglecting all the other stuff underneath.
              Hell people teared down the Berlin wall with their bare hands so a fence should be piece of cake.

Grtz,
              Bart
              Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
              "Samuel Smiles"
              http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

That's the spirit Bart!
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Originally posted by thor View Post
                  Andy,

Can you shoot me over what you have in mind? I can certainly CAD it up and even animate it. I think that is well worth doing.
                  I will need to tidy up the few drawings I've made. I had two designs, one which uses a full shell design, which would require a bit more work on the part of the constructor, and a second simpler design which is a profile based exo-skeleton design.

Both designs can be built from flat sheet material (e.g. plasticard, GRP sheet, sintra board etc.) using simple hand tools and for very little cost. Both featured cylindrical pressure hulls however. That's been the flaw in simple designs I've seen in the past, the pressure compartment is always poorly designed, and consequently they tend to fail.

Both designs would need to be built and tested before handed out to innocent bystanders though.

Comment

• thor
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Feb 2009

That sounds like a plan, Andy. I sent you a PM with my email address.
                    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bob the builder
                      Former SC President
                      • Feb 2003

Matt,

I tried to reply to your PM from earlier today, but your PM box is full!

Happy to donate my blog posts, but would appreciate knowing which you're interested in so that I can clean them up and/or flesh them out prior to publication.

Thanks!

Bob
                      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• thor
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Feb 2009

Bob,
                        Thanks! I just cleaned my inbox out.
                        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• warpatroller
                          • Feb 2006

Is there any interest in me writing an article for an upcoming SCR issue, on the Build/Assembly of a mostly unstarted, vintage, 32nd Parallel Type XXIII U-Boat, with its original Gas Torpedo launcher hardware? The 1/32 scale torpedoes, actually firing from their tubes, with photographic evidence of the event included in the article.

There would be an unusual twist, though. The sub, most likely, will not have a modern WTC or Sub-Driver installed in it.. The stock vacform pressure box and gas ballast system would be utilized. Built as it would have been in the 1980s.. Not a build to showcase modern technology.. But one to revisit and document the performance, if there is any, of a 33 year old kit design. Usually an article, such as this, would be written by an expert, with years of RC submarine experience. They wouldn't build it stock either, because it no longer reflects the current trends and methodologies of RC submarine construction, and they would probably know better than to attempt a high risk stunt like this.

Instead, in yet another bizarre plot twist, it would be written by a guy who may represent the average, very casual, Subcommittee member, with only minutes of practical running RC sub experience. A guy who may have represented 32nd Parallel's target demographic, for probably the least expensive submarine kit they ever offered for sale (and possibly their highest production kit in volume). Back in the day, this kit looked affordable, and it was touted as being ARS ("Almost Ready to Submerge"). The investigation of the legitmacy of the ARS classification, could be entertaining in itself!

Realistically, this throwback build would not be completed until sometime this Fall (October to December)..

Someone let it be known, if such an article is of any interest at all.. As I am not sure if it would be..

Comment

• JWLaRue
                            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                            • Aug 1994

I would definitely be interested in publishing this in an upcoming SCR. The technology represented in that kit remains the foundation of what is (still) being used today.

Please take loads of good photos to go along with the written text!

-Jeff
                            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• thor
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2009

Absolutely! This is a wondeful idea for an article. To be honest with you I really miss the "good old days" of the hobby. Things were simple, if not completely reliable. It brings back fond memories.
                              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
                                Treasurer
                                • Jul 2011

I would enjoy reading that too!
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                                X