• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • president
    • Feb 2003

Rules for posting in the SubCommittee Forum

House Rules and Guidelines

([i]NOTE])

The SubCommittee makes available, free of charge, the message boards, PM, and e-mail functions to all who would like to participate in the various discussions about all aspects of submarines. We have very few rules, but those rules that we do have are intended to maintain an open and respectful environment.

In the words of Aretha Franklin…R*E*S*P*E*C*T.
    That’s what we are asking for. Respect other members of the group and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member. In differences of opinion that can’t be resolved civilly, agree to disagree. This means no personal attacks, name-calling, or flaming of individuals, businesses, or other web sites. Do not bring problems from other web sites to this forum. We reserve the right to remove posts that are abusive, hateful, threatening, defamatory or insulting. As far as religion and politics - not on this forum please!

You participate at your own risk on message boards, PMs and in e-mail. You also take responsibility for postings under your username and should use the information provided here at your own risk. While we do our best to keep things civil, the SubCommittee takes no responsibility for the content or opinions posted here.

Users that do not abide by the rules may be subject to having their posts edited or deleted, their member account permanently banned from further access and/or deleted without notice. By posting in the SubCommittee forum, you are acknowledging that you have read these rules and that you agree to abide by them at all times. If you disagree, then do not post.

So what do we mean by asking for respect?

Keep it clean and polite.
    Please be polite. We take the "be polite" rule *VERY* seriously. This is a family-friendly forum about submarines and submarine-related topics. If you wouldn’t say it in mixed company or with children present, chances are its not appropriate for the SubCommittee forum.

If something would not be considered “work safe” (to a boss or co-worker), or allowed by FCC rules to be broadcast on US TV networks, then it shouldn’t be posted. We live by words online, so vulgar, obscene, racist, sexually explicit posts or language regarding sexual preference are all BIG no-no's.

Do not try to bypass the profanity filter by altering words. Posts that solicit or offer explicit or X-rated graphic files or non submarine-hobby related services are not appropriate.

Moderators do not censor opinions or ideas but will take action against posts and/or topics that cause unrest beyond civil and polite disagreements and will enforce the policies outlined on our site. We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion with or without explanation. If you have any questions, please post them on the board. However, any post that violates the rules will be moved to the "trash bin" only viewable by site staff.

We do not condone or tolerate rudeness on the forums. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive will receive one warning (at our discretion), and if the member offends again, the member will be temporarily banned without warning. An additional violation may result in a permanent ban.

Usernames and Avatars.
    Choose your username and avatar carefully. You may not use names or avatars that are obscene, offensive, suggest illegal activities, or those that are meant to imitate other users.

Threats.
    It is unlawful to harass or threaten anyone. We take threats, harassment and stalking very seriously. Posts that might be construed as such may be deleted and made available to the proper law enforcement officials.

Right or Wrong ~ Everybody’s Got One.
    Opinions, advice and all other information expressed by participants in discussions are those of the author. You rely on such information at your own risk. In light of our policy of encouraging candid, open exchanges of views and the rapid distribution of information originating from many sources, we cannot determine the accuracy of information that may be uploaded to the site and posted in the discussion areas. Participants are urged to seek professional advice for specific, individual situations and not rely solely on advice or opinions given in the discussions.

Vendor Issues.
    Please make every attempt to contact the merchant directly before posting a complaint about an unsatisfactory or unfulfilled order. This includes writing letters and picking up the telephone and calling them. E-mails get inadvertently lost, misplaced, sent to spam boxes and computers die. If you don’t receive a confirmation in a reasonable amount of time that your order was received, the vendor may not have received it.

If a complaint appears on the forum about a vendor from someone else, use restraint about bashing and “piling on”. If you have a complaint or comment to make then make it once and move on.

Privacy.
    Feel free to contact another user off-line by using the PM or email features on this board but please respect the privacy of others. Please do not post other users’ phone numbers, addresses, or any other private information. We discourage users from posting such information even about themselves, as there is no control how that information may be used beyond our message boards.

And the final important rule...Have Fun!

Best regards,

The SubCommittee Executive Committee and Webteam

• stark
    • Jul 2006

This was a good idea

This was a good idea to post Tim, and I see noting asked that is to much of any one wishing to post here.

But, I would respectfully ask that if the Boards Regulators who see fit to remove a members post for any reason with out a public explanation, that they email / PM this person about it! After all the personal freedom of the member is lost when She or He is censored, and THEIR I have a strong dislike!

Most that I know who will post here have no problem with rules, after all when in Rome...

But what is suggestive, or wrong to one may not be to the boys and girls that read it and have no power of censorship, a free wheeling hand with the hatchet power should also be kept in check. After all it was Freedom of speech that makes the USA what it is.

So some restriant should be in place over the officials in this area of the form, or perhasp much like the masses in this country now, our path will be determined by electied officials with no real hope of changing their will over us, or be told to leave the country if one does not like it?

I think the (Trash Bin) should be viewable by the members so they can see if the actions taken were necessary by the high command elected officials.

Over all I think you guy's do a nice-nice job with minimal no-no's.

Brian

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Brian,

I cannot speak for the

Brian,

I cannot speak for the other moderators, but I have always sent an e-mail to the poster whenever there has been a problem. In the past several years this amounts to something like 3 instances.

In my opinion, the poster is due a response for these kinds of issues. If for no other reason than for both parties to better understand what is being done and why.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• stark
        • Jul 2006

That shows the good judgment

That shows the good judgment and restraint on your Gong Show Power Jeff, and that is cool!! I mean that!!

I however hade no such response and something else that is bothering me is the simple fact that we vote our officials in, but no vote was asked to any member that I know of on this matter of swift justice to be dealt out to any would be offender! I once was a President of a club Tim, and the first thing I learned by way of interruption by a former Perez, was to take a Vote on any new subject!!!!!!!! And not to just pass it into bylaws!

I never even received a absentee vote PM, now is it the policy of the Sub Committee officials to now hand out bylaws when the mood or need, some say occurs? I first joined the this group back in 1996 I think, and it was no more than some 300 or so guy's that wrote about R/Cing subs, by way of a quarterly magazine. Yes they elected each other and they wrote how to's and really neat stuff about subs.

It lead the way for a small crack pot few to get together and read and write , and even play once a year, it was the Sub Committee, I left, and in 04 I came back looking fore that, but much has changed, oh I now that was then but this is now. The sad part is back then their was no internet to converse on, and the phone, the magazine was the way they all talked. With very minimal, mind you bull crap to go back and forth!!

And I will say here to day a better group of men and women were around, call me an ass, or old fashion, but the old gang has been dissolved! But I must add a very new gang of talent has come forth, to fill the post pages!

Now we come along with the greatest tool we have (The Internet) to show and tell, and the truth is many can not Handel it, the mama boy's run rapid with the I will cry till I get my way crap! And their is always some one their to hold their hand, or want to be their hero just to the Left.

The posts seems to cancel out all the bad words some feel the need to express themselves with, but you must know Boys will be Boys, and then throw in their toy's and a key board bad ass at home, hey a real bad mix you will have their!

But what to do, well for one if the term WE THE PEOPLE means anything, then perhaps we can vote on it as R/C sub people and stop the behind the scene discussion making!!! That is my problem, and than their is the person pushing the button, will we here form him something like "This is going to Hurt me a lot more than you"? I don’t think so pal, I am not to be herded, I am A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing, I am the President of my own Corporation, that I made with my own two hands, and I am a fair man to work fore, yes rules are their, but nothing silly I ashore you!!

I think, and I chose to read what I want too. I think it is simple to do, to pass on what you do, and to chose what you do not wish to read, defiantly the term "Take it outside Boys” should apply here, and I propose that as a alternative to casting out a member or slapping him down for his opinions, a moderator just steps in and locks the post, hell it works at SubPirates just fine!!!! But hey that is just me thought, did you ask the rest of the members. And all should, or the majority should rule on a mans fate. I think when the many let the few think for them, and then I wonder why any body would want to be part of that!!

So I say let's see a vote on your new Law!

Brian

Comment

• himszy
          • Nov 2004

Can I ask why this

Can I ask why this is in a forum of its own, and not just 'stickied' at the top of a existing one?

Michael

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

Brian,

What I think you are

Brian,

What I think you are suggesting is not actually workable given the size and international nature of the organization....along with the speed of change on the Internet (i.e. the forums). Since roughly half of our members do not haunt the Internet, how could they be reasonably included if every decision to be made was to be voted on?

Please also consider that every member is in fact represented through their voting privileges when they cast their votes for each member of the EC....leaving the day to day operations to the EC.

You also make the point about folks not being able to "handle it"...here's where I do believe that we have some level of difference. If the only way that someone can express themselves or win their point is to be abusive or to use foul langauge, then how valid is their point?

Let me close by stating the forum guidelines that Tim posted are not bylaws. Any change to be made to the bylaws that govern the operation of the SubCommittee does in fact need to be voted on by the membership.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tmsmalley
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2003

Bri -

I appreciate your concerns.

Bri -

I appreciate your concerns. When possible, people will be warned about problematic posts. But when the item is patently offensive it needs to be removed immediately and the poster will be notified after it's gone.

To add to Jeff's post, ultimately there is a vote - at the next SubCommittee election in 2008 - and any paid up SC member can run for office. If there is a groundswell of folks who want change in how the forum or the rest of the SubCommittee is run, a new Executive Committee could make the changes.

For now, we are keeping the SubCommittee a cordial and family-friendly atmosphere for everyone - youngsters, as well as we "more experienced" bubbleheads - to enjoy talking about submarines.

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

• slugejudge
                • Dec 2005

Well Gang,

From my position and

Well Gang,

From my position and involvement, I would like to clear the air on a few things, especially my opinion. Initially, I took the post personally because I had just ask if anyone could help me with a vendor? But reading your new law it is apparent that I conducted myself properly and have no regrets for what I posted and if anyone wishes to discuss it we can meet off forum.

And as I stated, I called their number at my additional expense today and had the distinct pleasure of leaving phonemail. Checked my account and they gladly took my money back in November.

So Tim Sm-- feel confident that your words did not fall on deaf ears. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, I make all attempts at being a Gentleman, a Good Friend, and a Good Customer. And I feel that the members have an obligation to each other...and his name is spelled Brian.

No, I have not given up, nor am I upset or angered with the vendor. I have to be optimistic every day of my life. See I have been battling an uncurable chronic form of cancer for 6 years and still winning!!!!!! From my shoes this is petty, and money has no value compared to supportive friends, and acts of kindness, like giving the benefit of doubt to other individuals.

Just a little opinion on reality check.

Respectfully, Richard Strickland

Comment

• stark
                  • Jul 2006

TIMMY" TIMMY TIMMY SOUTH PARK

You Guy's drive a hard bargain, and Rick is so right to put the things that matter the most into perspective after all they are toys, very expensive toys. David Merriman has sent an email at me to make me think about this hole thing again, and to some of my comments.

And Tim, I too think you have done a outstanding job as President and your abilty to excite the many is very good for us all as a group. You love Submarines and the SC, your job here to uphold the site and it ways are in only good thought.

I voted for you and Wayne, but censorship is censorship and haft to wonder if you would like it done to you, weather it was in a joke or someone getting out of hand. Great care should be given as to how to stop the problems Jeff and yourself point out, it does Suck to read!

When Jeff and I think it was Paul, did the same on the Vender subject by locking it, I was glad to see it, really we should be posting are sub's here, and stop the mindless yacking all the time. (Like Now)

Vendor will come and go, and in the end they will get what they deserve if they wrong a felow member.

You are the elected officials and on your chest the decision making is intrusted too, so you make up the rules, but remember the SC is only as good as it's members, can that be truly said in reverse?

Respectfully

Brian M Stark

Comment

• pirate
                    • Oct 2005

I think you're all just

I think you're all just @#%@#, and @$$#&* anyway. So just @$&#^% and move on.

Good job Tim, you @#%$ you. An you too Jeff, you @&^$%*@&^#. (Notice yours is longer Jeff?)

It's easy. If you like it stay, if you don't, no ones keeping anyone here.

Can't we all just get the @$^@*#%$@^%#!% along?

Pete

Comment

• pirate
                      • Oct 2005

Had to do it. Just

Had to do it. Just couldn't restain myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X