• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne frey
    • Aug 2003

Source for fiberglass tubing and G10 sheets

I came across this by accident.

It is a link to guys who are into rocket like we are into subs.
    They have carbon fiber, G10, and G12 fiberglass tubing.
    I bought a 48 inch long, 5.5 inch diameter G12 tube, G10 sheet for and equipment tray, and G10 discs in the diameter of my tubing.Wall thickness is about correct for a hull.
    For the money, it was worth it!
    Shipping was about 10 days, and,after inspecting, I am pleased to report excellent quality. The tube I got is as smooth inside and out as a automotive fender. Nice!
    So, if you have a project in mind, this is too good a source to keep to myself

Re: Source for fiberglass tubing and G10 sheets

That's interesting, I see they do some metric sizes too. You say the finish is smooth on the inside too, so I'm assuming it's accurate, if so the tubing could be a good candidate for piston tanks.

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Wayne,

Very good find!

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• wayne frey
        • Aug 2003

Piston tanks?!
        I did not think of that! Yes, it is smooth. Not like a mirror smooth, but seal a piston sliding in it.. Could be. Inside is as smooth as the outside.
        Imagination rules, for sure. I just knew I had found something
        A couple of more pictures of the tube are at the beginning of the Borei build thread.

Comment

Shipping will be the biggest cost I think.

I have had a go at laminating my own tubing in the past for a piston tank. I used a wax former and laid-up with polyester resin. Came out okay, but I think I can do better by laminating onto a polished aluminium former, and I would use epoxy resin next time. Once the resin is cured, whack it in the freezer so that aluminium shrinks back and you should then be able to remove the former.

For smaller bore piston tanks, I have looked at spent silicone caulking tubes (usually see plenty thrown out by builders). These have a very accurate bore with zero imperfections, but the size means they're only suitable for smaller boats, or used as a trim tank for larger models.

Comment

Working...
          X