• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KevinMC
    SubCommittee Member
    • Sep 2005

LiPo battery protector - "LiPo Guard"

Like many I've started taking advantage of the longer runs and small size offerd by LiPo batteries in my subs. Their only downfall is they can be permanently damaged if discharged too far, so last summer I came up with a circuit that would let me easily monitor the voltage in my LiPos and give me an unmistakable warning when it was time end the patrol and return for a recharge. The idea was so well received I decided to turn it into a follow-on product to my ADF. So here it is - the LiPo Guard.

Features:
    -Intuitive four LED “gas gauge” gives an instant indication of battery type (cell count) and charge level.
    -When used in conjunction with a “missing pulse detector” failsafe device (ADF recommended) the LiPo Guard helps protect your batteries from damage due to over-discharge. Low battery warning is indicated by a forced surfacing after which you will not be able to dive. If you’re stuck on the surface, it’s time to come back for a recharge!
    -No setup required. LiPo Guard automatically configures for two cell (2S) and three cell (3S) Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion batteries. Low voltage warning is indicated by triggering your ballast failsafe.
    -LiPo Guard maintains galvanic isolation between the battery connection and the servo connections so noise-causing ground loops are not introduced.
    -LiPo Guard can also be used with dynamic diving “pool” subs- Insert the LiPo Guard between the receiver and the ESC and your throttle will be disabled when it’s time for a recharge. (Not recommend for running beyond the reach of a retrieval net.)

The LiPo Guard will be available very soon through Caswell.
    Kevin McLeod - OSCAR II driver
    KMc Designs
  • tabledancer
    • Feb 2005

Kevin,
    How have you been there

Kevin,
    How have you been there buddy.After reading about your new product here I think that I would be interested.My new wtc is just about done and I think that I would like to add this to it,my questions are what is the size of it and what modifications will be needed to my exsisting setup.I am using a 12v lipo in my Alfa with the battery mounted inside the WTC.

TD

Comment

• KevinMC
      SubCommittee Member
      • Sep 2005

Hi Mike! You're right, it

Hi Mike! You're right, it has been a while!

Since I originally designed the LiPo Guard to fit in the 2" subdriver for my KILO you should be able to use it in just about any WTC. It measures about 3/4" x 1 1/8" plus the size of one connector off the end.

Installation is a snap and shouldn't really require any mods- The main power wires need to be connected up to your battery bus/ESC. (If you're using a Merriman WTC/Subdriver, you can make this connection directly to the power studs on the drive bulkhead.) Next, unplug the ballast failsafe from your receiver and install the LiPo Guard so the connection sequence is ballast servo->failsafe->LiPo Guard->receiver. Now mount it someplace where you can see it and you're ready to sail again.

Here's a photo of a prototype LiPo Guard installed in my KILO sub-driver. I strapped it on top of the (Sombra Labs) receiver so I know where the batteries stand as soon as I crack open the hull.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
      (BTW - did you get your nav lights installed OK?)
      Kevin McLeod - OSCAR II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• tabledancer
        • Feb 2005

Kevin,
        Yes the lights worked out

Kevin,
        Yes the lights worked out just fine,just like you said.Thankyou!I think that as soon as I get my WTC from Aquadeep I`ll be contacting you,maybe for my other boats as well!Take care.

TD

Comment

• kazzer
          Banned
          • Oct 2006

The LIPOGUARD is now online

The LIPOGUARD is now online at

Comment

Working...
          X