• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Sub-driver.com now the Nautilus Drydocks

Effective this week, Mike Caswell of Sub-driver.com has sold his business and inventory to the Nautilus Drydocks (that's me!). Mike has filled a big need in the community by supplying reliable and cost-effective cylinders and electronics to our community, and I hope to be able to not only continue this tradition, but build upon it to serve the hobby.

Some of you may know me from my projects that I posted up first on my original website at www.rc-sub.com and now my second at www.nautilusdrydocks.com. Others may have also seen me on my YouTube channel under RCSubGuy. I'm a long-time participant in the forums, even if I don't often post.

As a bit of background, I got involved in this hobby over 17 years ago when I began (what I considered to be) an epic quest to build, from scratch, a fully functional Disney Nautilus. That odyssey took over three years. During that time, I was introduced to the RC submarine community, and began to understand and fall in love with the nuances that make it stand apart from other hobby communities. What we do is not for the faint of heart, the stingy, or the untalented. We are what I would call the elite of the RC hobby world, and the size of the hobby is certainly indicative of that.

Over the years I've built and operated well in excess of 50 RC subs, most of which are documented on my sites. I now do custom buildups for customers around the world for both static and RC models.

I've dealt with Mike and his team at Caswell for many years and have always found them to be exceptionally professional and communicative. When Mike approached me with this opportunity, I knew that it would be a great thing for me and my family. It will be myself, my lovely (and understanding) wife, Renee, along with my son, Logan, who will be taking up the challenge of ushering in a new era for Sub-Driver, along with the amazing team of vendors that Mike has assembled.

I will be honest in saying that there will likely be a short period of anarchy while everything is transitioned over. Mike's inventory will be shipped to me down in Naples, FL and I'll need to set up the new shop, enter the inventory into my accounting system, and get the website updated with all of the new products and pricing. *If things go well, I'm hoping that this will take no longer than 2 weeks in all. Eventually everything will fall under the Nautilus Drydocks banner.

To begin with, you'll likely see a truncated product scope as I zero in on the products that are truly in demand. I'll work closely with our suppliers to ensure we get the right products out at the right price with the best timing possible. I hope to continue offering an exceptional line of sub kits, electronics and Sub-drivers with the cooperation of Kevin Mcleod, Dave M., and our other suppliers. Our hobby needs a place to source high quality parts for our boats, and I hope to continue to fill that need with the Nautilus Drydocks.

If anyone has any questions, comments or concerns, I would absolutely welcome them. You can feel free to email me at any time at bob@rc-sub.com, or hit me up here on the forums via PM (though email will likely see vastly faster replies!).*

Thanks, everyone, for your understanding and support. I look forward to working with you all in the near future!

Bob, Renee and Logan Martin
    the Nautilus Drydocks
    Naples, FL
    The Nautilus Drydocks offers exceptional scale models, accessories and RC components with a focus on military, sci-fi and fantasy submarines. Custom buildup services for display or remote control operation available!
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com
  • bwi
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jun 2013

Hi Bob,

Congrads....hope everything works out well for you, I'm very glad all the knowledge will not be lost.

I will be a happy customer……looking fwd to it....one suggestion.......please look into thecaswell overseas shipping costs......you will have a lot of new customers the moment they will go down.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"
    http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

• PaulC
      Administrator
      • Feb 2003

Congratulations, Bob! I'm sure it will be a great fit.
      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
      <><

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

This is great news!
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• jefftytoo
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2003

Yes, hearty congrats, Bob! Great news, indeed! Looking forward to continuing as your customer, now with new goodies!

Best,
          JeffP

Comment

• ccontrol
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2012

Congratulations Bob! You have been a pleasure to work with in the past and I look forward to continuing that with the expanded product offering. Best of luck!

Comment

• schaffer hasse
              • Mar 2013

felicitation, I wish you great success you and your family
              very best regards
              schafferhasse

Comment

• s class
                SubCommittee Vendor Member
                • Jan 2008

Hi Bob
                all the best and bon chance

Bob D

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Bob,
                  Congratulations. I think this is a good thing for several reasons. I am sure that many that would not have purchased before will be more inclined to support you. We need a reliable source and I think you will do a great job at that.
                  Peace and Blessings,
                  Tom
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jure george
                    • Jul 2005

Hello Bob

Congratulations on your expansion and ALL the Best Success in the future!
                    George

Comment

• bob the builder
                      Former SC President
                      • Feb 2003

Thanks, everyone! I will be simplifying the scope of products that I'll be offering, hopefully resulting in reduced lead times and lower pricing. More to come in the next couple of weeks while I get my feet under me. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to what they'd like things to look like, by all means let me know.
                      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• scott t
                        • Feb 2003

Congratulations Bob.
                        Suggest hiring minions for Mr. M!

Comment

• bob the builder
                          Former SC President
                          • Feb 2003

First off, I want to thank everyone for your patience during this transition time of products from Sub-Driver to the Nautilus Drydocks platform. I'm happy to say that I've got most of the inventory ported over now (with the exception of uploading some photos, which I hope to have done by the end of the day today). Feel free to stop in and take a look:

The Nautilus Drydocks offers exceptional scale models, accessories and RC components with a focus on military, sci-fi and fantasy submarines. Custom buildup services for display or remote control operation available!

At last word from Dave M. yesterday, he's still a few weeks out on the last outstanding orders for SubDrivers. Again, thank you to everyone for your patience. Once those orders are fulfilled, we are going to go into a redesign phase for the SubDriver units themselves. The current line of bespoke cylinders based on specific models has proven to be unfeasible to inventory and we're going to simplify the design, incorporate new features and upgrades, and (hopefully) manage to cut some cost out of the units as well. During this time, we won't have any units available for ordering. I very much hope the delay will be appreciated once the new design rolls out in about 60 days or so.

Also, while I have the online ordering platform up and running, I'm actually going in for major back surgery tomorrow morning. Recovery is going to be slow and I have a minimum of 2 weeks bed rest on the horizon while I heal up to the point where I can walk around again. My wife, Renee, and son, Logan, are promising to take up the slack as best they can while I'm laid up, but do please expect some degree of delay over the next couple of weeks in getting product packed and shipped.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them up here. I'll continue to be checking email and the forums daily during my recovery.

Have a great day!

Bob

Comment

• thor
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2009

Bob,
                            Best wishes to you on your new adventure and especially your back surgery. Take your time and get healed up. We'll all be here when you get back!
                            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bigdave
                              • Feb 2003

I hope all goes well for you Bob.
                              Speedy recovery Sir! BD
                              sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                              "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

Working...
                              X