• Nov 2003

Pocket nc 5 axis mill

Very cool stuff
    sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

That is cool! I want one!
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Looks like this Kickstarter project is actually resulting in product that is shipping......

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

$4000 base price, you can also get a spindle upgrade for an additional $650. I do not see my finances affording it anytime soon. Although the motor block is pretty cool. All sorts of fun things could be created with this!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Originally posted by salmon View Post
          $4000 base price, you can also get a spindle upgrade for an additional $650. I do not see my finances affording it anytime soon. Although the motor block is pretty cool. All sorts of fun things could be created with this!
          the other tell on this is the following youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13872p-UynI

in that video, they claim this device is equal to a machine costing 15 times as much. ($60,000)

in addition, they explain that they are working with a specific company to use their 3d modeling software to design objects. that software is free if you use it for personal use, or have annual sales less than $100,000. so this device is really being aimed at the "garage manufacturer", and not the personal hobbyist.

edit... if you are looking at CNC mills.... the sherline model, with a 12" base, and CNC setup, lists MSRP at roughly $3000, so, this really is not a huge reach beyond that. and the sherline would be considered a 3 axis mill, while this is a 5 axis mill. 2 more axis' for $1000??? where do i sign...
          Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM.

Comment

in the second video, did anyone else notice the machining volume? the guy states something like the volume of half of an orange... 3" x 3" x 1.5" or so ??? really?

finally....
            Like all things in this arena.... 10 years from now, Harbor Freight will be selling a chinese knock-off, at a price i can afford.

Comment

• bigdave
              • Feb 2003

It looks like a much larger machine till you see the hand come into the video.
              Then, WO!
              That is small!
              But large in cool factor. BD
              sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
              "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• tommydeen
                • Nov 2003

i was thinking this machine would be good for making props
                sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

Originally posted by tommydeen View Post
                  i was thinking this machine would be good for making props
                  nothing bigger than 3" diameter, with a hub 1.5" or less

Comment

Working...
                  X