• Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    No one
    • Jul 2003

SUBPAC Submarine Seminar July 13-14 San Diego CA 1991, Handouts

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
    George Santayana

Before the ubiquitous WTC came in to being and opened this hobby to the masses, thanks to one well known pioneer Mr. David Merriman III, the RC Submariner was a rare and wondrous craftsman who was lucky enough just to obtain a commercial hull. Their accomplishments were extraordinary, and I consider myself blessed to have known a few of them.

Note the names in many of the articles, these people laid the groundwork when nothing was available for the average “Joe”. While you may just glance at this from a historical perspective, this “Early Age” of our hobby leads directly to the “Golden Age” of our hobby with the advent of the WTC and membership growth during the SubRegatta’s at Groton. There is a LOT to learn here for the serious RC Submariner. I came in during this period by attending the SubPac Seminar in ‘91 at Sayreville NJ, and this laid the foundation to my own expertise in this hobby, of which I’m extremely grateful for and still use in some aspects today.

All systems such as Power, Command and Control, Ballast, Propulsion and Auxiliary functions were fabricated from parts found in Hardware/Automotive Stores and parts laying around the house. THEY even had to bash together their own failsafe from electronic components as vendors had yet to supply them. Could you do it?

This is but part of their story…..

SubPac Submarine Seminar Handouts, July 13-14, 1991, San Diego CA. Part One: The How to’s

SubPac Submarine Seminar Handouts, July 13-14, 1991, San Diego CA. Part Two: The Articles

Many thanks to Mr. Ray Mason for providing this material.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

If this seminar was held at teh Office's Club, North Island, San Diego,my son and I were there.
    I may still have the handouts from that event.
    One of the topics was the banning of Freon and the use of can air for ballast systems.

On Sunday we met at Point Loma sub base for a tour of the USS Chicago.

Comment

Working...
    X