• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    No one
    • Jul 2003

US Submarine Identification Beacon w/Arduino BEETLE

International Regulations for Prevention of Collisions at Sea, 1972 (72COLREGS) and U.S. Inland Navigation Rules

—INTERNATIONAL— General
    PART A—GENERAL

‡ Submarines may display, as a distinctive means of identification, an intermittent flashing amber (yellow) beacon with a sequence of one flash per second for three (3) seconds followed by a three (3) second off-period (32 CFR 707.7). Other special rules made by the Secretary of the Navy with respect to additional station and signal lights are found in Part 706 of Title 32, Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR 706).

Though not quite what you would think as a normal “item” to share, those of you who do wish to incorporate a Submarine Identification light in your RC Submarine, the code shown below will allow you to do it with an Arduino Beetle

I’m not going to go into Arduino, a great place to teach yourself is here, Paul is fantastic:
    Arduino Tutorial 1: Setting Up and Programming the Arduino for Absolute Beginners

Arduino itself:
    Arduino

FWIW, I’m learning this myself, because I feel the small Arduino Beetle has MANY uses aboard an RC Sub. More on that as I learn, and hopefully teach each other.

About the Beetle itself:
    Arduino Beetle

They can be had at Amazon, Digikey, Mouser, Ebay etc $10-15USD

Now the code, you can simply cut-n-paste into the Arduino Software (IDE):

void setup() {
    // Use pin 11 on BEETLE
    pinMode(11, OUTPUT);
    }
    void loop() {
    digitalWrite(11, HIGH);
    delay(600);
    digitalWrite(11, LOW);
    delay(600);
    digitalWrite(11, HIGH);
    delay(600);
    digitalWrite(11, LOW);
    delay(600);
    digitalWrite(11, HIGH);
    delay(600);
    digitalWrite(11, LOW);
    delay(3000);
    }

A 5V Power Supply, say from the RX, just watch your total Power Budget, and a yellow/amber appropriately sized LED, and you're in business.

With the other 2 free pins, you can add a Failsafe, and/or gyro input if you have the sensors in a 2.4Ghz System Telemetry unit to use as an angle keeper. All for $10-15USD if we can learn to code reading PWM Signals. Lots of Drone and Robot craftsmen already do it.

Here it is working, please excuse Panda...
    Navigation Light: US Submarine ID Beacon-Arduino Beetle DFR0282

World's your oyster

Enjoy
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • pirate
    • Oct 2005

Kevin McLeod offers a great little circuit with LED set to fade in and out like an incondescent bulb on the real boats. Ready to wire without Arduino.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      No one
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by pirate View Post
      Kevin McLeod offers a great little circuit with LED set to fade in and out like an incondescent bulb on the real boats. Ready to wire without Arduino.
      What do you learn from it?
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...
      X