• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    No one
    • Jul 2003

1:48 DeBoer SKIPJACK Tail Zincs

ALCON,

The attached file was designed to add "eye candy" the 1:48 Scale DeBoer SKIPJACK Class Submarine. It is to scale, based off the G. SHARPE Plans.

It was Designed using TinkerCad online 3D Modeling Tool. I had successful printing in ABS on the Monoprice Voxel 3D printer (rebranded FlashForge Adventurer III).

I plan to merely give them a light coat of Aluminum colored paint, followed by a lighter spatter of flat white to simulate the actual zinc color I remember all those years ago when I scraped them as part of GRANT's Deck Division. Not too much as I'm attempting to stimulate her look as if she's on sea trials after an extended yard period (fresh paint, zincs, Hull Numbers for Publicity photo's, and a VERY light scum line), late 70's

Since my boat is 25+ years old, I merely plan to remove the hull paint in minute spots underneath where they will reside and adhere with a light spots of Black CA. I don't wish to repaint the tail section...again!

Enjoy!

Disclaimer

By downloading this content, you agree:
    1-That you are using it/them BY YOUR OWN CHOICE AT YOUR OWN RISK, without warranty AND/OR guarantee of any kind (either expressed or implied).
    2-That the author of this content will not be held responsible or liable for any injury or harm you and/or others sustain, and/or damage/loss to your property and/or other owners property
    as a result of information obtained from this content, or information shared in this content. This includes emails, videos and text.
    3-The desired intent of this post is in the free sharing of information, it in no way claims to be the best, or even the preferred method to achieve the desired goal mentioned in the description. It is just content I use and wish to share.
    4-It is NOT meant to discourage, much less replace, the use of commercially available products. In fact I HIGHLY recommend purchasing and using commercial products thereby keeping
    these people in business. It's a small market, and many of them are personal friends.

Finally, Positive Comments are appreciated, negative comments are ignored with the understanding that to have downloaded it you agreed to the above anyway.

Thanks for your understanding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200618-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	138080

Name:	20200618-02.jpg
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	138081

Take this: 591_TailZincs_01.zip
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Ed,

Don't forget to give each zinc 2 bolt heads 1/4 the way in from each end (just a drilled bevel where the hull color can go for visual niceness). Skip the silver. Do a little hull color into the seams between zincs. Drybrush the flat white on all over, 'cept in the bolt pockets. Then, glue them on. Will look more realer!! Why you still using that ungodly flat black??????

B^)

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

Very, very nice, Gentlemen! It warms my heart to see more modelers utilizing the incredible wealth of affordable technology available to us now. Well done!!!!
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        No one
        • Jul 2003

Follow up now they're installed...

Originally posted by wlambing View Post
        Ed,

Don't forget to give each zinc 2 bolt heads 1/4 the way in from each end (just a drilled bevel where the hull color can go for visual niceness). Skip the silver. Do a little hull color into the seams between zincs. Drybrush the flat white on all over, 'cept in the bolt pockets. Then, glue them on. Will look more realer!! Why you still using that ungodly flat black??????

B^)
        Look COB, I ain't like you or Capt. Harris when it comes to the finer details lol, so I live without the bolts!

Name:	591_a.jpg
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	134751

Name:	591_b.jpg
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	134752

BUT, I always listen to you and everyone here, taking what I need and leaving the rest. But I do listen!

I used Rust-Oleum Hammered Silver 7213 rattle can for the base, and your recommended white wash over that. It was a satin white acrylic flattened using Diatomaceous Earth.

I also left the print "as is" without sanding. Giving it a rough look. I'm "feeling" it!

I know it's not at the level that you or Bob do, but it's my test bed boat and it looks fine 50' away submerged. As a rule, I don't hyper-detail my running boats, whiskey dings, Skippers who can't/don't follow the Rules of the Road (COLREGS) much less basic mindfulness, pond scum, Groton "granite, bottom bouncing, etc. But that's ME! Now my static boats? THAT's a whole differnt approach!

Regarding the "flat black", I also did redo the stern paint to match the rest of the hull which I did late last year.

Name:	591_c.jpg
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	134753

Dupli-Color Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Engine Paint DE1635 mentioned a while back by Erich and others since Krylon lost it's mojo.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• wlambing
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

I like 'em!

B^)

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

They look good to me!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
            X