• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g2tiger
    • Feb 2003

fleet boat deck fittings while on patrol

Question for all who know...

So, when the fleet boat went to sea during war what did they leave on the deck? Did all of the rails stay on the deck? Or did that stuff get put somewhere?

Also I'm fairly sure the prop guards were taken off before they went on patrol.

Anyone know?
  • g2tiger
    • Feb 2003

Re: fleet boat deck fittings while on patrol

So I see 50 people looked at this posting and no one knew

Comment

• bob the builder
      Former SC President
      • Feb 2003

In my research for my last uboat build, I discovered that they removed the life preservers and the rear navigational lights. I've never seen a photo of a uboat with the railings removed, but it would make a hell of a lot of sense. Just looking at my completed build I can't believe it moved with all that crap on the deck dragging at it.

That having been said, I am in no way an expert and I'm sure someone here has more info for you...
      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• wlambing
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Depends on the boats CO. Some de-rigged topside, others didn't. Some had the prop guards removed, some had permanent ones. In any case, the CO pretty much got whatever he wanted as far as ships equipment and location went. Same with guns and TBTs. Get a bunch of pictures of the boat you're building and run with the football!

B^)

Comment

• kurt250
          • Jul 2012

i don't know if this will be helpful , but my uncle was on a tin can during world war two. he told me that they stripped everything they could from there ship. this was done to reduce the fire hazzards that some of the paint they used could cause. anything wood or any thing that could burn was left ashore of dumped over the side. they even stripped much of the paint inside the ship. uncle fred said that after there had been several ships in battle, the navy called for the removal of every pice famable material they could. he said the navy saw were a shell had hit the tin can and had done some damage, but the resulting fire did much worse damage. kurt250

Comment

Working...
          X