X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rokket
    • Oct 2005

mark14 torp nose

Anyone know what the nose of a Mark 14 looked like?

All the pix I find are dummy warheads. They all have the tow ring welded to the nose.

My real question is: was the nose ring standard on all, or did the live-fire have a different nose (for contact exploder?) I've got one shot of what looks like a piece of pipe (with holes around) on the nose, which could be the contact exploder (and holes for venting water as it touches something?), but it's fuzzy and small and inconclusive.
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

I think that the Mark

I think that the Mark 14 and Mark 15 had the same forebody.......if so, check this link out:

It looks like the nose ring was part of both live and dummy warheads.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Gents,

You are both correct.

Gents,

You are both correct. The excersize heads had welded "rings" made of bent flat bar welded to the steel can. The ring, or eye, on a warshot was cast bronze, as was the can, being non-magnetic, so that the magnetic influence detonator would sense the enemy hull and work properly. Not too good to put such a device inside a steel can. MK 16s looked very similar, too. When I got in boats in early '73, we carried 14s, 16s, MK 37MOD2s, and had capability for a couple variants of mushroom producing devices. I put a pair of inert MK 16 excercize weapons together for outdoor display at SubScol years back. Had to borrow the wrenches from the SFL&M to do it.

Take care,

Bill

Comment

• rokket
        • Oct 2005

Thanks guys! I realized that

Thanks guys! I realized that the "pipe with holes" was the guy's thumb, so in this pic it IS a ring, and then you guys have given great info. Nothing like sources, either printed or Bill's first-hand experience!

I'm making resin shutters and resin torp tubes with torp noses in them for sale, so I want it to be right (plus I'm very interested!).

I appreciate your help!

Cheers,
        Wink

Comment

Working...
        X