• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g2tiger
    • Feb 2003

Kit changes

Hey,

Anyone want to start a thread on what changes you would recommend to some one building a Revel Gato. My thoughts are based on my buying and using the Merriman kit was that I could provide some help to someone who may have additional questions. the Merriman kit is very good but I had many questions and figured out some things after I did them. In the DVD Merriman does go over some corrections but the corrections may be several chapters later. This means you have to switch between the DVDs and watch all of them all the way through several times to catch the corrections.

For example when cutting the aft part of the hull I think Merriman mentions he has to install a brace because too much the "spine" "my words" of the model was removed during the opening up of the hull. My advice or thought for the day is when making the vertical cut leave about half an inch of the models "spine" attached to the upper hull. With a small section of the "spine" attached to the aft most end of the hull the model would not need a brace installed.

You can see what I am talking about in the pictures. In the first shot you can see that I had intended to leave extra "spine" but got in a rush and made the cut much more forward than intended as evidenced by the large vent/flood area forward of the turtle deck prior to the cut line. In the next two shots I hope you can see that if the "spine" was left intact by my cutting about one half inch more aft it would have eliminated the need for the brace.

The cut I intended was where you see the penciled in mark in the third image, this cut would have left the needed support to the upper hull section.

• g2tiger
    • Feb 2003

Some additional thoughts.

I think

Some additional thoughts.

I think it might be better to go ahead an attach the aft tube and bow and make the cut before installing the prop shafts. I had a hard time getting things to align and I recently broke the whole set loose so I could rework it.

I was able to get the front bearing aligned much easier and now I don't have the mis-alignment and binding I had prior to the rework.

Comment

Working...
    X