• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g2tiger
    • Feb 2003

Fairwater attachment

Hey,

Anyone got some suggestions for attaching the tower to a R/C Gato? I was wondering what the different methods people are using and why. Is it better to glue it on? Or is a mechanical retainer better.

For moving the model to and from the lake I would think a removable tower would work best.

What is everyone doing and how?

Charlie
  • Rogue Sub
    • Jul 2006

I really like using those

I really like using those super strong neodymium (it might be spelled right..prob not) and a small tether made of a few inches of string. With plastic models its bette to just pull the thing off for travel. Not to mention in the water instead of destroying the tower it might just break off and the tether will hold it to the boat. Ask Warren about having your tower run over!

Comment

• crazy ivan
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Hey Charlie,

I took two lengths

Hey Charlie,

I took two lengths of 1/4 inch styrene square stock and glued them across the bottom tower opening, one about an inch or so from the front, and one about the same distance from the back. They are recessed enough to clear the raised part of the deck. I drilled and tapped one hole through the center of each cross piece and a pair of corresponding holes in the deck. I fasten the tower on with a pair of 6-32 brass screws up from underneath the deck.

I made it removable mainly because I have practical running lights in the tower, and I may need to access the wiring some time. It would also come in handy for transporting, though I haven't removed it for that yet. I like using screws because they come out quickly if need be, but the tower can't get knocked off as I fear might be the case using rare earth magnets. ( I may try the magnets on another boat sometime.)

Just noticed that Kevin posted a pro-magnet message while I was writing up my concerns.... but that's OK.
      sigpic
      "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• g2tiger
        • Feb 2003

I was considering magnets with

I was considering magnets with tether. I have some from work that might work. I would agree with the dark lord Kevin as to having the tower hit while some newbie pilots his wal mart special around the lake at top speed while talking on his cell and sending IM's to whoever.

Comment

• polaris
          • Feb 2008

I would agree with the

I would agree with the dark lord Kevin as to having the tower hit while some newbie pilots his wal mart special around the lake at top speed while talking on his cell and sending IM's to whoever.

hmmm, I think Kevin said that it adds weathering and character, at least thats what I remember him saying after an impact with my sail by one of those highspeed targets.

Comment

• Rogue Sub
            • Jul 2006

Wait a minute wasnt that

Wait a minute wasnt that target being driven by Charlie????

Comment

• g2tiger
              • Feb 2003

SIR!

I beg you pardon it

SIR!

I beg you pardon it was not me! i haven't had a running model in about a year!

I do believe the culprit was none other than Doug G. AND I recall You asked for it!

Comment

• Rogue Sub
                • Jul 2006

oh yeah it was doug

oh yeah it was doug huh. You were the one that ran over MY boat at devils den...multiple times I believe.

Comment

• polaris
                  • Feb 2008

I do believe the culprit

I do believe the culprit was none other than Doug G. AND I recall You asked for it!
                  I asked for it?, I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

no damage too report, Its all good

Comment

• Rogue Sub
                    • Jul 2006

yeah really...was his boat just

yeah really...was his boat just running to good for you. Was the marlin so ashamed that he had to take the hit....

Poor poor Charlie. just make sure you return the favor when his gato hits the water next year.

Comment

• polaris
                      • Feb 2008

I just might have a

I just might have a surprise for that Gato next year I should have 2 running subs by then.

Comment

• g2tiger
                        • Feb 2003

You guys are a tough

You guys are a tough crowd.

I don't recall running over any subs. Also I was kidding about the asking for it. We all know that when we operate a sub we "are asking for it" since our boats are hard to see.

Anyway, I am having trouble with the Gato/USS Cod. It will delay me for a time but I still hope to have it running by our march/April date.

Kevin, Don't speak ill of the Marlin. It's not nice to pick on the disabled or subs with issues, HAHA!

Charlie

Comment

Working...
                        X