Manitowac Balao Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manitowac Balao Questions

Okay, I have finally started working on the big Revell Gato. She'll become either the Hardhead or Hawkbill. It appears that Manitowac Balaos were somewhat different than their Electric Boat brethren, although they putatively used the same plans. It appears that while many EB Balaos had full length wooden decks for some reason, the Manitowac Balaos had steel plated ends and wood only amidships around the bridge and gun positions.

Here's the thing - does anyone know the actual pattern of the metal plates used on the plated forwad and after ends? Is there a source for this plan? I thought I'd ask before rolling the dice and ordering a bunch of Floating Drydock plans.

Also, did these Balaos use the same ballast tank vent locations as the Gatos? I have the framing and ballast tank vent diagrams from the Floating Drydock, but don't know if the later Gato plans also apply to the EB/Man. Balaos.

Thank you for any help.

Robert

I was able to figure

I was able to figure it out with Hardhead's shell expansion plating diagram. It looks like Manitowac used EB's hull plans, although there were some deck and conning tower differences.

Robert

Comment

Working...
    X