X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chipper
    • Jan 2006

Cobia needs help

Every day, I steal a little time at work to hit the Subcommittee site to see if there's any new postings on the Fleetboat Dock. Nothing, except for a few dribbles and drabs, maybe some new PE features to spruce up our Cobia's. I'm grateful to Revell for producing the Cobia. But, there's no where else to go with it in it's current configuration, except, as the museum boat Cobia. This is for the people at Nautilus, Eduard, White Ensign, and you too Mario. How about a Guppy SSK. They were converted Gato's and all Electric Boat designs, the same as the Cobia. From photo's, it doesn't appear they had the reduction to the superstructure and decks that other Guppy's had. You would need a new resin sail, new props, an updated PE deck, and a resin bow plug. How about it guys? Give the Cobia a little help. Thanks. Chipper
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Hello? Do you not read

Hello? Do you not read the SCR? Mario's aftermarket parts for the 1/72 Revell Fleet boat have already been featured in past issues. He has Balao sail variants, as well as several Guppy sails. Mario already has a wide selection of resin conning towers & other accessories (gun sets) for this kit, & White Ensign has other parts to modify these kits.

Here's Mario's page:

However, this is the darkside of large scale models-big kits cost big bucks, and hence limit the initial size of the audience for these kits. Then for aftermarket parts, large items such as resin conning towers and bow modifications eat up huge amounts of expensive resin, and hence are priced such that they can cost as much as the original kit. The economics of spending a lot of time to make masters and cast parts on this scale aren't real favorable if you end up only selling a handful of aftermarket modification parts.[/url]

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Uhhh, Tom...not everyone who frequents

Uhhh, Tom...not everyone who frequents these forums is a member of the SubCommittee...though of course we'd welcome folks who join.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• chipper
        • Jan 2006

Cobia needs help

My good friend Tom! I've been reading SCR since 1995 and I know nearly every single piece of aftermarket product that's available for the COBIA. I applaud Mario for thinking outside the box with his Guppy sails. But, to really do this kit justice, modeling anything else other than the Cobia, is a BIG job. For someone like myself, with limited time and scratchbuilding abilities, I'd like products that would get me close to an accurate model. The reason I mentioned the SSK's was, other than the bow, there would only be a minimum number of modifications. At least the emergency markers would be right for a change. I've seen too many guys posting pictures of their Wahoo, or another Portsmouth/Mare Island boat that was nothing but a straight build from the box of the Cobia kit. I can't bring myself to accept this mediocrity. Until Revell is ready to clean up the problems with this kit, we have to hope the cottage industry guys can carry the load. Thanks

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

Until Revell is ready to

Until Revell is ready to clean up the problems with this kit, we have to hope the cottage industry guys can carry the load.
          My point was, it's too expensive for the cottage industry guys to dive in and do specialized subjects that only a handful of people are going to purchase. Mario does it partially out of love for the subject, but even he has to think about sales to pay the bills for all of that resin.

Ye, the 1/72 Revell Fleet sub isn't prefect, but it is a HUGE step forward from the old Lionfish kit! I do remember that a lot of people here offered to help Revell with photos, drawings etc., and someone in the SCR was involved as an advisor. In the end, Revell decided to copy Cobia exactly as she is today, not realizing or not caring that post war modifications (like the rescue marker buoys) were different from the WWII fittings. Still, you can get much closer with less work with this kit than anything else on the market. As far as Revell is concerned, there may be a variant (Balao) or two in the future, but I'd be very surprised if they "cleaned up" anything about the kit. Injection molds are very expensive, and once cast, usually that's it.

Comment

• rustysub
            • Apr 2005

Hi SC Board, Tom is

Hi SC Board, Tom is 100% correct. Whatever comes from IBS is because its the art of the submarine. Chipper you have to understand what you are asking, The fancy things you mention are already in design. The only thing most people are going to be reluctant in chopping up a $80 submarine and spending $100 + in parts just to do it. SSKs and guppies would not be able to be contained under a $100 ceiling, The market is very small. Being that said, IBS will be expanding the 1/72 fleet boat lines because I need them for my own collection.

Currently If you go the the following link (IBS Gallery)you will see my newest built converted submarine USS lizard fish. This 1/72 Revell model in its fleet snorkel EB /gun slinger mode was built in three weeks with minimal work done to the Cobia base kit with exception of the Eduard Rivet PE. Thanks Mario

Comment

• chipper
              • Jan 2006

Cobia needs help

Tom and Mario. I appreciate both of your opinions and I stand corrected. Thanks. Chipper

Comment

• tom dougherty
                • Jul 2005

Tom and Mario. I appreciate

Tom and Mario. I appreciate both of your opinions and I stand corrected. Thanks. Chipper
                Don't be discouraged. IBS and other small manufacturers have a number of items, large & small, available for the Revell Gato. Sounds as if Mario has some more parts coming along shortly.

Comment

Working...
                X