X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricknelson
    • Dec 2006

Frame separation on early Gato boats

I vaguely remember some discussion on one of the BBs about the number of frames on a Gato and some question about the total number of frames. Well, I just discovered (I may be the only one who didn't know) that frame spacing, or the distance between frames on at least the early Gatos was NOT constant. I am modeling the SS-214, Grouper, in 1/178 and made up a frame measuring tape based on my assumption that the frame separation distance was 30" for all frames. However, I kept coming across areas where the frame numbers didn't jive with my measuring tape. Finally, I got an excellent Docking Plan drawing in 1/48 of the SS-215, Growler, from Floating Drydock and found out that there are two different frame separation distances; 30" and 24". From FR0 to FR35 the separation is 24". From FR35 to FR62 the separation is 30". From FR62 to FR69 the separation is again 24". From FR69 to FR105 the separation is 30". And from FR105 to FR136 the separation is 24". I have yet to modify my frame tape measure but I believe this will improve it's accuracy. I'm glad I found this out now as I am adding all of the hull openings that the Docking Plan identifies and they are located relative to an adjacent FR#. Maybe like I said I'm the only one who didn't know this but I thought I'd pass it on. This could be of interest to people building the 1/72 Revell kit or the Trumpeter Gatos.
  • cody
    • Nov 2006

Well...I know that every boat

Well...I know that every boat was "Different"...Even sisters built out of the same yard.
    But how could the frames be different? Are they not all built from the same plan? You raise a very interesting point. Now I'll have to do some digging.
    Have you looked at other docking plans of other Gatos?

Jeff

Comment

• ricknelson
      • Dec 2006

I also have the Docking

I also have the Docking Plan for the SS-276, Sawfish, which is a Portsmouth boat and it has the same arrangement of 24" and 30" Frames.

I guess I don't understand what you mean when you said,
      But how could the frames be different?
      The basic design of the Gato is similar but the plans can be different, especially between boats designed by EB vs. boats designed by Portsmouth. For one think, the Flood Ports on the early Gatos (like SS-214/215) are larger ellipses, fewer ports per MBT/FBT, and they are orientated such that the long axis of the ellipse is parallel to the center line of the boat. The Flood Ports on the SS-276 are smaller, more ports per MBT/FBT and the long axis is oriented perpendicular to the center line.

Limber holes and anchor locations are other areas where boats differed.

Comment

• cody
        • Nov 2006

Rick...I'm like you...Like you said

Rick...I'm like you...Like you said in the initial post, I didnt' know they were different either?
        I'm going to have to get those docking plans I guess.
        I had read about them being "Different"...So this must be why they were.
        I thought I had enough reference material to be o-kay?...I never really thought about the 'Flood Ports'....

Jeff

Comment

• boss subfixer
          • Aug 2004

The frame spacing is relative

The frame spacing is relative to the amount of strength needed in a given section of the hull. The closer the frames are to one another the stronger that section is. Hull thickness also plays into the equation, though not too much back then I would suppose. The hulls were pretty thin compared to todays standards and the steel was not as strong.
          Don

Comment

Working...
          X