X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chipper
    • Jan 2006

Whats that pipe?

While perusing the beautiful photo's in Navsource, I noticed on some of the Mare Island, Gato boats, particuarly the Wahoo, there is a pipe that exits by one of the starboard engine exhaust ports, runs along the top of the ballast tank to the stern, then drapes across the stern to port and goes.........somewhere? Anyone know what this is? Also, any rumors or info from Revell if there's an updated Gato/Guppy/Balao release forthcoming. The Cobia's had it. Thanks, Chipper
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

Unknown Piping

I have no idea what that piping might be for. But, it's all gone in the 1943 pictures. Since it is shown in pictures, taken during construction, it might be special piping, installed for some kind of test. In that case it would, probably, have been removed after she finished sea trials and the Navy accepted her. If that's the case, you can forget about it.
    The yards used to hang all sorts of junk on us, after construction, and extended yard periods. And it stayed until we completed sea trials. So this may be, what it is.
    Mike K.

Comment

• rokket
      • Oct 2005

I'm pretty sure it's degaussing

I'm pretty sure it's degaussing conduit over twin cables, for demagnetising against mines. I'm SURE I read this in the excellent and awesome warship pictorial 28 (lots of pix with similar piping in there, some rounded and riveted to hull, other square/rectanular, with some twon cables coming out).

But of course I CAN'T FIND the reference in WS 28, or the e-bbok by FD...it must have been in another book and I just go to the pix in my mind...I will dig this up! It appears to have been dropped by 43 as Mike says, but it's interesting that the modern Collins class Oz subs have degaussing cables in them - not just to demag, but to switch on and repel!

Comment

• chipper
        • Jan 2006

Whats that pipe?

Rokket

I like your explanation. I found other photo's, all of early Mare Island boats, with the cables running aft on both sides looping over the stern. This is interesting stuff. Maybe the first "Countermeasure?" How exactly does degaussing work?

Comment

• PaulC
          Administrator
          • Feb 2003

Yes, those are degaussing bands

Yes, those are degaussing bands on Wahoo's stern. She wore them through at least the third war patrol. She doesn't have them after the MI refit in July '43 so don't model them for patrols 6-7. I may be able to check and see if they were on when she arrived at MI which would mean they were installed through patrol 5.
          Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
          <><

Comment

Concur on the degaussing cable.

Concur on the degaussing cable. Incidentally, early Electric Boat units usually carried square or rectangular shaped cables or coils, while early Mare Island/Portsmouth boats usually had round cables or coils like that seen on Wahoo.

I'm sure there are exceptions to that, but that the general pattern I've seen.

Comment

• rokket
              • Oct 2005

How does it work, you

How does it work, you ask? Well, the fromulator has to create a... oh, maybe this is better:

I thought it wa sa little different but that seems to make sense.

Comment

Working...
              X