http://www.eduard.cz/./products/card.ph ... ge_start=0

Gus
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Those look super! Just wish

Those look super! Just wish they'd do a Portsmouth plans limber hole set. And not put the bow planes on backwards on their display model....
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><

Comment

• ricknelson
      • Dec 2006

The floor plate set (53028)

The floor plate set (53028) appears to have the post-WWII emergency buoy (elliptical, should be round) both fore and aft.

Comment

• rokket
        • Oct 2005

Tho the Eduard sets look

Tho the Eduard sets look fantabulous, Rick is right, it's a POST war deck (the buoy/marker, some kind of crank in the deck, etc.). Beauiful work, but based on museum ships decked out in 1945/post war style. (I will of course still purchase for the other goodies! the gun and CT details are great.)

I'm researching the wartime metal decks with a mate, we are hoping to release our own brass set of the decks, the chain locker floods, and 2 or 3 sets of limber holes (Portsmouth and 1945).

Comment

• goose814
          • Jul 2004

Yeah, I was kind of

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed myself with them being the modern type. By the way, is this your photo-etch set you're coming out with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/g ... 2sheet.jpg

I saved this picture but can't remember where I found it.

Gus

Comment

• ricknelson
            • Dec 2006

Hi Rokket,

I'd be very interested

Hi Rokket,

I'd be very interested in any PE sets you offer. If I can be of help defining items for you please let me know.

Looking at the instructions for the Eduard 53023 "extras" set it looks like they have only 5 pieces for the flood ports on page 8/8 and that Eduard implemented screens in the flood ports which is incorrect. The flood ports should just be open ellipses and there needs to be 62 of them if I remember correctly. I have the flood port template from Nautilus if you need an exact count. There are other bottom goodies that could be added like the sonar domes.

On 8/8 of the instructions it also looks like Eduard includes replacement limber chocks (items 19 & 20). That's great! The limber chocks are usually too thick for scale.

The hatch, Item 27 on 8/8 is a good add also if it is elliptical. Need to watch which side of the centerline it is placed as it depends on the yard the boat was built in.

They even included the DCDS (Depth Charge Direction System) sensors on pg 3/8, very nice, but they should have a total of 4 as there is one on either side of the superstructure just below the fairwater so that the DCDS would have 360 degree coverage. I scratch built these for my 1/178 Grouper (1945) See Below

It looks like the SJ reflector might work out ok. Just need to scrtch-build a SV reflector now.

This set has a lot of nice additions but will have to purchase two sets.

Comment

• goose814
              • Jul 2004

On 8/8 of the instructions

On 8/8 of the instructions it also looks like Eduard includes replacement limber chocks (items 19 & 20). That's great! The limber chocks are usually too thick for scale.
              I don't believe the bilge keels are included in the set. The photo etch pieces are numbered and rendered in blue in the instructions. Any of the original kit pieces are numbered and rendered in black as these parts are.

They even included the DCDS (Depth Charge Direction System) sensors on pg 3/8, very nice, but they should have a total of 4 as there is one on either side of the superstructure just below the fairwater so that the DCDS would have 360 degree coverage.
              Actually, there should be a total of 6. In addition to the 4 that you mentioned there is one at the top of the periscope shears and one down by the keel.

Gus

Comment

• Scale Shipyard / WLU
                • Feb 2003

Gus:
                The photo is of the

Gus:
                The photo is of the 1:72 scale Fleet Boat PE set from Scale Shipyard.

I was able to get a cost concession from the shop that mills these for me so the price on these is reduced to $159.00 + S&H until I run out of the current batch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/goose814/172sheet.jpg

I saved this picture but can't remember where I found it.
                W.L. Upshaw

The Scale Shipyard - Maker of the largest selection of quality large scale fiberglass model ship hulls, fittings and running gear.
                SUPPLYING YOUR HOBBY IS NOT OUR HOBBY

Comment

• goose814
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks Lee. Will that set

Thanks Lee. Will that set fit the Revell kit or only your hulls?

Gus

Comment

• Scale Shipyard / WLU
                    • Feb 2003

1:72 scale

I am told that it fits both
                    I do not get time to build my models anymore and I have not built a plastic kit in more years that I can remember, my time now days is spent making stuff for other people to build their models.
                    But one day........
                    W.L. Upshaw

The Scale Shipyard - Maker of the largest selection of quality large scale fiberglass model ship hulls, fittings and running gear.
                    SUPPLYING YOUR HOBBY IS NOT OUR HOBBY

Comment

• rokket
                      • Oct 2005

Hi Rick,

Great work, very nicely

Hi Rick,

Great work, very nicely done.

Grouper?! That's "my" boat! My very good friend, a man like a second father to me, served aboard Grouper in 1957, so naturally I'm doing the Revell 1:72 as Grouper (but Jan 1943, she didn't look as funny then). Great choice!

Thank you for info, any and all is appreciated. We are working off of as many photos as possible, and then taking in some info from museum boats, but most are all non-WWII now, so a lot can't be used. (Similar to the U995 situation for VIICs, but maybe a little better).

Your DCDS are a nice touch!

We toyed with idea of draft markers, but were greatly afeared they would be too small (come out too big) - in scale they are quite thin (assuming 1/4" thick = .003", or even if wildly thick at .5", twice that) -to me better done with decals, unfortunately.

Some resin stuff I'm working on: outer torp doors and shutters. Hopefully a capstan.

The degausing cables would be interesting to do, not that I have seen pix of them on many boats. The clips would be pretty small in scale.

Grouper had wooden decks, not metal, so I'm looking into that. Nautilus has a wood deck, but I think it just replaces midships and doesn't cover bow and stern.

Comment

• ricknelson
                        • Dec 2006

Hi Gus,

Yes, I had read

Hi Gus,

Yes, I had read that there were 6 DCDS sensors but I have not been able to locate the two you mention. I'm not surprised that I couldn't locate the ". . one down by the keel" but I have looked at a number of SHIPALT photos where the DCDSs on the fairwater have been identifed with white circles identifying them as additions during the yard period but I have never found a DCDS ". . one at the top of the periscope shears". Do you have a reference (photo or drawing) that shows the additional two DCDSs you could send me? I fabricated a total of six just in case this issue came up and I would like to add them if I can find documentation to support their location.

I had hesitated adding the BT cover until I was able to find out what it was. I am attempting to only incorporate items that I fully understand.

Thanks,

Rick

They even included the DCDS (Depth Charge Direction System) sensors on pg 3/8, very nice, but they should have a total of 4 as there is one on either side of the superstructure just below the fairwater so that the DCDS would have 360 degree coverage.
                        Actually, there should be a total of 6. In addition to the 4 that you mentioned there is one at the top of the periscope shears and one down by the keel.

Gus[/quote]

Comment

• goose814
                          • Jul 2004

Hey Rick,

Just like you I

Hey Rick,

Just like you I have had a hard time actually spotting the other 2 DCDS's. The info that there were 6 I read from the USS Cod Photo Guide book and also from a footnote in the USS Barb Patrol Reports.

I assume that the Cod still has the one on the shears but I am having a hard time spotting it. As far as the bottom one, I have a copy of the USS Cobia docking plan, and in one area it's pointing to one of the #2 main ballast tank flood valves and states:

[quote]Warning]

This is all well and good, however for the most part the main ballast tank flood valves were removed early in the war and left as open ports. The only thing I can think of is it being moved farther aft onto one of the fuel ballast tank flood valves.

Gus

Comment

• ricknelson
                            • Dec 2006

Thanks Gus.

I guess until I

Thanks Gus.

I guess until I can actually see the DCDSs in place, especially the one in the periscope sheers I'll leave the last two off. I've come to trust only photographic evidence and now-a-days even that can be suspect.

Comment

• ricknelson
                              • Dec 2006

Gus,

I have another question for

Gus,

I have another question for you that I thought of reading the quote you sent. I'm modeling the USS Grouper, SS-214, as she appeared in July 1945. About a dozen of the early Gatos when built were somewhat unique, I.E. one example, provision for anchors both port and starboard. Would you know if they had Kingston valves installed? Later versions did not. Also, if they had been built with Kingstons would they have been removed by the end of the war?

Thanks again Gus for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X