X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricknelson
    • Dec 2006

Revell 1/72 Gato kit issues

I have searched around for a list of issues/problems with the Revell 1/72 Gato kit but have not found one. I have found the list developed by Gus on the Trumpeter 1/144 kit (see Trumpeter Gato - First impressions) very helpful. I also would intend for this list to be meant in the same vane as Gus so aply prefeced in his Trumpeter list.

I've already purchased two of kits and do not regret it. For various reasons manufacturers do not get all of the details correct either through ommissions, mis-interpertations, or taking museum subs too literaly. I for one appreciate knowing what points need to be addressed. The items I've accumulated is no an exhaustive list and I encourage others to add to it. One must keep in mind that the Revell kit #0384 is a Gato in the 1942-1943 time frame and that Revell got most of their details for their version of a Gato from the USS Cobia, SS-245 which is currently at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum. Because of the extensive modifications the Gatos received during the war their profiles and limber hole arrangements became as unique as a human fingerprint. Much time must be spent reviewing the references and picking a specific boat at a particular point in its career to model.

I have used the terminology and part numbers used in Revell's instruction sheet for reference even though some of it is inaccurate and/or incorrect.

Comments on Revell’s implementation of the 1:72 Gato:

1. Where did they ever get the idea of mounting a broom? I know that the Cobia has one but it is not standard issue for a sub. An antenna similar to the one on the starboard side of part #94 should also be present where the broom is. When a broom was mounted to indicate a “clean sweep” it was tied to either the #1 or #2 periscope. Refer to Squadron/Signal’s Gato-Class Submarines in Action #28, page 13. On the right hand side of the page is a famous picture of Mush Morton and the Wahoo after his first patrol. On page 12 is another picture of the Wahoo in much need of a paint job.

2. The aft TBT (Target Bearing Transmitter) pedestal (Parts #70, 85, & 86) is vintage 1944-45, not appropriate for 1942-1943. It is NOT for aiming Guns it’s for providing Target Bearings to the Torpedo Data Computer in the conning tower. There was no Fire Control capability for the deck guns. They were operated in local mode.

3. Part #49 on the forward port portion of the main deck is referred to as a “Breather”. There was no such thing as a breather on the deck of a fleet submarine. There was a sonar device called the FM Sonar used for mine detection that looked a bit like this part but it was not introduced until late 1944-45.

4. The wire antenna insulators on the port side of the sail aft of the periscope sheers should not be mounted on a plate on top of the side of the sail. I see that the Cobia is rigged this way but I do not understand why. The purpose of the insulators was to feed through the antenna connections from the antenna outside of the sail to the inside of the sail. The connection wiring would then pass through pressure-proof fittings in the pressure hull so that they could go to the radio shack for connection to the receivers and transmitters. The feed-through insulators should be mounted on the side of the sail adjacent to the sail access area.

5. The doors on the port and starboard sides of the sail should have not been implemented. The only occasion that I have seen doors has been when I have visited submarine museums, their intent being to prohibit visitor access to the inside of the sail because of liability issues. Pictures of the Cobia in Wisconson show that doors have been added to limit access. This apparently is a case where Revell used the Cobia too literaly as an example. If you look at wartime photos of the Cobia these doors are not present.

6. I do not know what the point of having six rectangular outlines on each side of the sail is. Again, something that is not seen in the references and I cannot see them in the pictures of the Cobia in Wisconson or her wartime photos.

This is a list of features that would have been nice to have in the kit:

1. The arrangement of ammo lockers on the sail should be optional as the number, size, and location was unique for each boat and dependent on what type and where her guns were located.

2. MBT, FBT, and other tank Flood ports should be added. This is an area that has never been addressed until recently by Nautilus.

3. To be able to be used for various renditions of Gato class boats the aft portion of the sail should be configurable.

4. It would be nice if a 5”/25 Cal. Mk 40 Submarine Gun was provided as an option.

• rokket
    • Oct 2005

I'd say you're right. Revell

I'd say you're right. Revell looked at a 1945+ configured sub and duplicated it including putting in "modern" (or post war) emergency buoys... Too many mods were post war and/or museum mods.

BUT, that means a heap of cool After Market stuff! I'm researching and prototyping replacement torp shutters and doors (these aren'teven accurate, just bizzare!), aft dive planes, maybe a wood deck (beyond the Nautilus to cover the total wood deck EB boats), and PE metal decks for those with metal fore and aft decks.

It'sa great kit but as always, there are screwups!

Comment

• ricknelson
      • Dec 2006

It does make it more

It does make it more fun to research it, fix it up, and make it "right". After spending so much time on the Lionfish I don't know what I would do if all there was to a kit was just slap it together and presto, you have a perfect replica! I'm looking forward to what the aftermarket folks come up with. I for one would like to see better implementations of the SJ and SV radar reflectors, not an easy one to do but I have some ideas. Now if you get it right for 1/72 you can shrink it down for the 1/144 market.

At last we Fleetboat nuts have some new toys!

Comment

Working...
      X