X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mermaid
    • Feb 2006

Is using lifelines protoypical?

I have been assured by a friend that the lifelines on the fleet boat main decks were stowed under wartime conditions. I am wondering if I should fit them to my 1/72 RC project. I have yet to see even one (I have a couple of hundred) photo of a boat without the lifelines being rigged. Is my friend wrong? It seems that stowing the lines would be a somewhat lengthy process. If I do fit lifelines, there is no way I'm going to use the styrene ones included in the Revell Gato kit since they would never stand up on an operational model. Where could I purchase appropriate brass stanchions? I suppose that I could make my own but drilling all those holes would be a nightmare. Comments??
  • jaschwink
    • Apr 2004

I have been told by

I have been told by members of both sub vet organizations that during the war, the only permanent deck railings were those right alongside the conning tower. The stanchions for the cable lifelines were stowed when the boats left port for patrol.

There are a number of brass posts available from model shipbuilding sources, for one or two railings and in varying heights, if you want to add the in-port posts and cables. Take a look at www.harbormodels.com under "accessories" and you will find a bunch. And you might think about using elastic plastic string for the cables. You can find that in craft stores where they sell bead jewelry supplies. I use that for my radio antenna wires. They stay taught and survive......

jaschwink

Comment

• mermaid
      • Feb 2006

http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips jaschwink. I've visited the Harbour Models site and they do indeed offer a variety of stanchions. Getting stanchions of scale diameter might be a problem though. At 1/72 scale they would have to be anywhere from 0.021" to 0.028" in diameter. I've asked Al Matava at Ships n' Things and he promised to send an assortment of this two ball stanchions for me to examine. Hopefully, I'll find something suitable. Great idea about the elastic cord. I figure that I'll need 26 stanchions for the permanent deck railings. I assume that the companionway railings were stowed while underway.

Comment

Working...
      X