X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timc
    • Aug 2004

USS Growler Help (USS-215)

I too am looking to change what comes in the Revell box a bit. I'd like to model the USS Growler wearing measure 9 but with cut down fairwaters. I've been to sites that show she was refitted in late 1943/1944 but none tell exactly what was done or whether she was repainted in 32/9SS or not.

I'm assuming she got the new 4"/50 and the fwd/aft 20mm AD weapons. What I'm really hoping for is that she'd have the 40mm up front, measure 9 with the 4"/50. That may be a stretch. I don't care for the measure 32 9SS camo.... It's gotta be measure 9, the latest mods possible. Also, did she wear her 4" fwd or aft of the sail?

I have warship pictorial 28 but it's not much help with respect to the Growler.

I'm going out to check the floating drydock right after this post so I may find out more info there. Any help would be appreciated.

TimC
  • snook279
    • Dec 2006

Growler 1944

Hello,

I have a few pictures of the Growler, but the latest I have is early 1944. She has the 3" 50 mounted forward and has mounts for 20mm guns on her decks.[img]
    [/img]
    From the picture, it looks like it is painted the way you want. I hope this might help some. Have a good day!

Thomas Wierenga

Comment

• timc
      • Aug 2004

Thanks for the reply. Yes,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's exactly what I want with the exception of the 3" gun. Your picture is dated at Feb. 1944. I need to do a quick check on her refits and see if this she maybe had another before being lost in November of 1944. If not, then I need to get me a 3" gun. On the bright side, I won't have to enlarge the gun platform then.

Damn, when I zoom in on the picture you posted dated 1 February, it does look as though she's got an enlarged gun deck. I can't see if she's got holes drilled in her roundover or not. I can see her sail is shorter than the one that comes in the Revell kit. I may have to use a bit of artistic license with this one. Either that or pick another boat in measure 9. Not that it would be hard to do...there's not much in the way of markings (actually none visible) on most of these fleet subs.

Tim

Comment

Working...
      X